Elk?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

podevil

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
In the Mountains of Western Pa
A friend of mine just brought me some elk filet's, and a couple of roasts..Is there any special way these should be cooked? or does anyone have any recipes? I did a search for Elk and there doesn't seem to be any posts on Elk
podevil

I would treat it similar to deer meat.. it's not a fatty meat. The steaks are great in marinade and I'd use bacon on the roasts to add moisture.

Then smoke or grill your favorite way.
smile.gif

I am going to try an Elk top round roast (ham), and smoke it similar to a pulled brisket. Mustard then rub, smoke, foil wrap, cook until 160-180, blanket wrap and rest, then pull it. If it's firm enough, I might try slicing it too.

Patty and Rich have nailed it.
icon_biggrin.gif
Elk, at least the meat I have ate, is not gamey like some deer, you will love it.
smile.gif

Ive had elk once and it was awesome. I did notice that it had differnt taste than deer, which makes since, cuz it seems to me more closely related to a cow.. Those things are freakin huge!

I was cleaning out the freezer a couple of months ago and found 4 small elk roasts. Wanting to make room for this year's harvest, I put all 4 on the smoker. Sprinkled with Lawry's seasoned salt and layerd over with bacon, I smoked them for 6 hours. Then 20 minutes in the pressure cooker. Excellent pulled roast!

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky