Elk?

Discussion in 'Wild Game' started by podevil, Dec 4, 2007.

1. A friend of mine just brought me some elk filet's, and a couple of roasts..Is there any special way these should be cooked? or does anyone have any recipes? I did a search for Elk and there doesn't seem to be any posts on Elk
    podevil

2. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I would treat it similar to deer meat.. it's not a fatty meat. The steaks are great in marinade and I'd use bacon on the roasts to add moisture.

Then smoke or grill your favorite way.[​IMG]

3. bombo80

bombo80 Smoke Blower

I am going to try an Elk top round roast (ham), and smoke it similar to a pulled brisket. Mustard then rub, smoke, foil wrap, cook until 160-180, blanket wrap and rest, then pull it. If it's firm enough, I might try slicing it too.

4. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Elk is AWESOME! Don't overcook it... medium at most. the whole durn animal is akin to filet meat... BEST damm jerky I ever had too!

5. bigarm's smokin

bigarm's smokin Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Patty and Rich have nailed it. [​IMG] Elk, at least the meat I have ate, is not gamey like some deer, you will love it. [​IMG]

6. Ive had elk once and it was awesome. I did notice that it had differnt taste than deer, which makes since, cuz it seems to me more closely related to a cow.. Those things are freakin huge!

7. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I was cleaning out the freezer a couple of months ago and found 4 small elk roasts. Wanting to make room for this year's harvest, I put all 4 on the smoker. Sprinkled with Lawry's seasoned salt and layerd over with bacon, I smoked them for 6 hours. Then 20 minutes in the pressure cooker. Excellent pulled roast!

Keith