Elk Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bassman

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 15, 2007
This is the first time I have ever saved the ribs from our elk. Guess I'll be keeping them from now on! They came out great! Did a 2 1/2-1 1/2-1 using hickory and apple. Sprayed with apple juice/brandy every hour.

Thanks for checking out my ribs.

Bassman, they look freakin awesome. Job well done for sure.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks MH! Somehow I just knew you'd appreciate them.
biggrin.gif

Very nice ....Never had elk,but you good folk with hundreds of pounds in your freezers make me very jealous-to say the least...
points.gif

I have had elk steaks and they are fabulous and taste too. I have never seen elk ribs but those look great. You did a fab job. You mean to tell me that you throw away the ribs in the past or did the butcher keep them and hope you didn't want them. I mite throw out the bottom of the hooves of an elk.

Thanks guys! Mballi, we do our own processing. After hanging for a week the ribs are so dried up there's no meat left. This one was quartered in camp and I had my cordless sawzall with me. Made it a bit easier.

I haven't kept any elk ribs either. To much to pack out when you are way up in the mountains....I may need to try tho. they look great. I still have a cow tag for closer to home were it wouldn't be such a deli-ma.

Awesome looking Elk ribs.... I'll have to do that with my next whitetail I get. I never have kept the ribs..... I think I will have to now!

Blza

I just cooked up a batch of elk ribs tonight, my first ones. and they won't be my last. I can't believe some people didn't keep them and process them with the rest of the meat. i will try to post some pictures. but try as you will, yo won't be able to taste them. they are delicious.

It's not that we don't like them, but most of the time when you harvest an Elk, they are not in a conveniant spot to pull the truck up to and haul off. For those of you that havent seen 500 to 900 pounds of critter laying on the ground before you on a mountain side at 10,000 feet in elevation, the last thing you think about is packing out the rib bones. Last years bull was a few miles from a road, and took 4 of us with 80 pounds of meat ONLY in our packs and I had the skull and antlers on top. I have only had the opportunity once to haul off the ribs, and I will agree they are good. Just not worth killing yourself over.

Are they comparable to whitetail ribs?? I have had deer ribs and found them to be awful. The fat and tallow in the deer gave such a greasy mouthfeel and also an awful taste. Most deer are processed by removing all bones and tallow (fat) due to the taste imparted into the meat. I know alot of people cut tbones and other cuts from an elk so I assume that elk does not have the same issues as a whitetail?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky