Elk Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sparky30_06

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Well to save you all the details i'll keep it short. My mothers B-Day is coming up next week and she loves ribs so i figure I'll make her ribs for dinner, was going to head to the store and grab some spare ribs but when I looking in my freezer i found some packages of elk ribs. Has anyone ever tried smoking elk ribs if so can you please help me out here??

Never tried elk ribs but I have made jerky and a fatty a while back. Excellent meat. Not much fat tho, so if ya try 'em, be sure to keep mopped. Might consider an EVOO or bacon grease rub to 'em first.

I tried them on the grill once. They were so tough you couldn't rip a piece of meat off them! I don't bother to save them anymore. There's too much good meat on an elk
PDT_Armataz_01_26.gif
. Keith

Texas-hunter, i just opened a package up and no the back strap was not attached to the top of the rib. They are set up with like 2 rib bones about 6" long with alot of meat on each side of them. They look really nice with alot of meat on them..

sparkey

boil the ribs for 30-45 min to remove the tallow then place in the smoker until done i have not tried this yet but is on my to do list i usually boil the ribs and place into crock pot until tender they are great

I've not done them, but I have had friends who have and swear that they are great. I would think the usual rib rules would apply, low and slow, and as has been mentioned keep the lack of fat and marbling in mind.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky