elephant garlic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
that's a great explaination gypsy thanks for the post
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Of course it's garlic just has larger cloves! That's silly!
rolleyes.gif

Best ones to use for making garlic paste too.
(Actually garlic is of the onion family)

thats what i thought debi- i just read a reply to 1 of my posts & it looks the same, tastes the same, but it is milder than homegrown(may be my ground)- after the fact it did freak me out cause the inner skin was green like a fig- still tasted like smoked garlic to me & worked great w/ the italian spiced tomater,garlic,b.pepper,mushroom smoked burger meat for sghetti tonight.... the only garlic i use now is my own smoked garlic (made into paste) - thanx debi.. woulda never smoked veggies,roots,etc. w/out you. i'd'a just stuck to roasted.

tomato ... tomato... lol i thought i had the taste & definition down in the 1st post. even though it is related (or compared to the leek) it is very much"not a true garlic" - but much milder & very often used raw in salads but from personal experience- upon smoking it- i found it has a very pleasant flavor & for sheer size makes a great paste- for us bulk pasters....lots less work.

See'n as there are no dumb questions here...

How do you smoke garlic? EVOO the whole head and in to the smoker? I went to Debi's site and didn't see anything there.

The way that I roast garlic in bulk (maybe this is stating the obvious) is to buy the bulk peeled cloves from the supermarket and put in a small pyrex bowl with some EVOO at 300 until done. Mash and enjoy.

Can the two techniques be combined?

i usually take about 8- skin & all.. 2 in evoo,2 in white wine or beeR, & 4 plain-fridge for a couple days (being a relative term) & place on the warmer rack until well browned & soft-3 to 5 hrs. scrape out & mash into a mason jar as paste.

The authentic, and more difficult to enjoy- method is chopping the top offa whole flower to expose a bit of all the cloves, drizzle with evoo and a bit of salt and roast that way. Some wrap in foil before roasting. Pop cooked cloves out with a small spoon or butter knife and spread.

I kinda like your "lazy" method tho :{)

Wow. I didnt mean to start something here. just stating a fact that elephant garlic doesnt cut for me ,if it does you right then great. I still wonder if the smoke penetrates all the wrappers to flavor the garlic or will it taste the same as oven roasted. I use roasted garlic in one of my hot sauces and am very interested in this one.

That's why I'm interested in combining my lazy roasted technique with the smoked version. I don't see why taking some peeled cloves covered with some EVOO and placing them on a screen in the smoker wouldn't come out awesome. One way to find out!!!

I just peel mine down to the last peel (leave tha on) and smoke em when they get soft I squeeze em in a bowl and do whatever with it!

You really don't even have to peel em but then you might get some dried peels in your paste.

another way to smoke garlic.......for me anyway.....stick it on the back of my monitor.........its smoking becauses of all the beer i have spewed on it today...........crap

d88de

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky