Electric Vs. Wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hondamandan

Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
I am getting some great advice! Because I am new to the Hobby, some people think I should go electric. For some reason this does not appeal to me. (I'm not sure why). After all my research I think I have it narrowed down to a lang patio model, or a horizon. From what I can figure the Lang reverse flow is the better way to go over the conventional off-set. My big question is this-Is there a better taste using the wood over the electric? Am I right in going with the reverse flow? I not in a big rush, I live in Pittsburgh and it's cold! Thanks for all your help!!!! Dan

honda - my opinion is that if you're going to learn, you mght was well elarn right ~ get yourself a charcoal/wood smoker such as an ECB or SnP and learn to tend a fire. the rewards are worth it!

When you are talking a lang you are talking a good amount of money. Now they are a great smoker and I would give one of my troubled kids for one JK but it's quite the undertaking for a hobby. You might want to start smaller and work your way up to a lang. Maybe a good smoking charcoal unit so you could get used to tendering a fire. Unless you of course move next to me then you should go ahead and buy the lang smoker.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Go with wood or charcoal to learn the craft.

I personally find a big difference in taste and texture between items smoked with wood or charcoal, vs an electric or even a gas smoker. The items smoked using wood or charcoal taste better to me, its not even close. Just my opinion.

good luck with your purchase, I learned on a leaky old offset which taught me alot about fire control, etc. , I have also own a gas smoker(trying to sell it now, dont need it anymore), and now use a WSM exclusively(thinking of buying another in March this time the 22"). Every smoker taught me something.

I agree with the above statement. I used to have a gasser and now have a wood burner and a charcoal burner. The Horizon does a good job even in the cold as long as ya don't mind going out tending the fire. IMO nothing beats a BBQ on a wood fire. The charcoal is my second favorite and gives some really good flavor also, real close to wood.

I have an electric... a gas... and a woodburner. I turn out some really good Q on all of them. I don't use the gas like I use to. It's boiled down to the electric which I use most of the time and the wood burner I use when I have the time and the weather to use it. I wouldn't want to give up either one of them. Each one presents it's own challenge and for me it's more a matter of time and lifestyle. The electric is awesome for how I smoke.

I started with a couple of $ 40.00 Brinkman vertical smokers. They do a decent job of smoking and you can use them as grills. The next step is an off-set smoker. Between $ 300 and $ 500 for a decent one. My advice is (unless money is no object) start with the smaller smokers and move up. I still have the little Brinkmans around but use my Oklahoma Joe offset all the time. I also built a small smokehouse for doing cold smoke.

Al

I have four smokers; an charcoal ECB, a GOSM propane retro fitted with a side fire box, a homebuilt electric drum smoker and a Lang 60. Like PignIt said, I learned something from each of them. I love my Lang and it's something that I worked up to. One thing to keep in mind though if you buy a new Lang-be prepared to fork out the bucks for delivery. My FOB charge from Georgia to SLC, Utah was close to $700. You might want to check your local want ads and Craigs List-some good deals can be found if you just look for them.

I agree with everything said below. There is something to learn no matter how you get started. But... you don't have to learn all the lessons yourself. Learn from my mistake. DO NOT BUY AN ECB!! Sure.. they can put out some good Q but wow what a pain in the arse!!! Not worth it. For just a few more bucks you can get the vertical Brinkman. It's made all the difference in the world to me. Home Depot has a great two door model that I use. Love it. If I could afford to have an electric too, I would but that's not in the picture right now. Good luck. Have fun. Post plenty of q-view.

All I can say is I love my Lang, yeah for me it was an extra $600 for delivery. I also have a Gas smoker and a new braunfels offset. Hindsight is 20-20, I should have bought the Lang right away, but who knows if they are really going to like the hobby and that is a sizable investment if in 6 months you decide it is too much work. I guess If you had no real experience. start with a Chargriller. See if this is something you really want to do.

I started with electric and am now using lump charcoal on my Brinkman Smokin Pit. The Pit is the best but the electric still has its place when I want to go the easy way. I also use it for cheese because I can get really low temps in the electric unit, a Bradley.

I agree with PignIt - I started with a an ECB till it died then bought the SmokinTex Electric - I am real happy with it but once I retire I may look for some kind of offset to play with too

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky