Electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Halibut Chaser

Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
Greetings All!
New member...been using a Big Chief for about 3 years, long enough to know that smoking is here to stay for me. The BC has been fantastic, but does have some limitations. While I will always have and use it for certain things (smoking cheese!), I have decided to upgrade. After researching. I've narrowed it down to MasterBuilt and Bradley. Tough decision, but tipping towards the MasterBuilt. Mostly because of the proprietary bisquettes, though I perceive Bradley might have better quality?? Been smoking fish (salmon/halibut) cheese and jerkey. Looking forward to the new world that opens up with the upgrade.
I realize this has been debated ad nauseam, but thought before I plunk down the dough, I would look for real world experience/feedback. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions, and I didn't intend to open up another round of debate.

HC

Welcome to the SMF from ND:

I also have a Bradley. I use it when I want a smokier flavor than my pellet smoker will give me. That being said, those wood pucks are expensive. That's why a lot of members don't use it. I'm sure you'll hear from the MasterBuilt owners on this forum, they are very popular.

I was in the same position. Could not see being tied to those pucks. Got to love a design that burns the puck twenty minutes, maybe 25% consumed, then dumps it in water so they can't be reused. You have to keep buying more...I have enjoyed using both of the MES40's I have owned. I am waiting on reviews of the newest model then I may get that version...JJ

I looked into Bradley years ago. Like everyone else I didn’t want to deal with the pucks. Not because of price so much as availability. I have a lot going on most of the time and if I forgot to order some pucks I’m just flat out scr*wed on my smoking plans that weekend.

I have two mes 40’s. A gen 2, and a 2.5. Im don’t plan on buying another one. They are ok for what they are but they are built cheaply and overpriced in my opinion. Right off the bat you really need to buy a pellet tray to have a true set it and forget it Smoker. Then depending on the model you buy you might need to do some more modifications. Not to mention they really are 2-5 year smokers if you never want to repair them. My smoker that’s 5ish has its side walls warping like crazy and it’s never seen outside weather of any kind. And both of my smokers 5 and 2 1/2 years old melted the connections at the heating element this year. Not a tough fix but come on.... this is a common problem and it’s unnecessary. Using better parts when producing these smokers would eliminate this problem.

Overall I’d have to say save a little more money and buy a better smoker unless you don’t mind replacing your smoker every few years.

Only true good thing I’ll say about masterbuilt is the customer service I’ve dealt with in the past was good. I imagine that’s because they have consistent complaints called in weekly. Just a guess based on my experiences, and what I’ve read online.

Reactions: jcam222
Thank you all.

Hi Hillbilly: cost is not my 1st consideration...any recommendations on what you might think is better brand in the electric smoker arena?

I can confirm Scott has more then his fair share of smokers and the like in his Barn.

But there's another reason Bradley is bad; those pucks are fed via an entirely seperate mechanism. Which is open to the elements. Winter? That's snow blowing right into your unit. Rain..etc. Another thing to screw up ,and you can't try and cover it up when the smoker is in use because it needs to be open for the pucks to feed in!

Unlike Scott, I've had my smoker go over 300f and never had any form of damage. There's alot of knowledge about MES on this forum, and I can't think of any other electric smokers off hand that aren't just some knock off of the MES.

Ultimately the choice is yours, but Bradley has more parts to fail, and a design that lets them fail and because of it's design, you can't just easily modify/repair it.

I’ve been looking into smokin-it smokers the last few years. I hear good things. Probably going to be my next smoker purchase.

We will see how far we can get with the mes 40s now that they’ve been patched up.

Thanks Hillbilly!...wont get to town for a while but after all is said and done, I believe I'll go with the MES40 and see how that does. After researching this forum and knowing what I intend to do, this should work just fine.

Say folks...don't know how important or not a window is, but I just saw this on Cabelas website:
Masterbuilt® Adventure Series MES 140B Digital Electric Smoker...assuming because it is new it is a Gen2.5.
here is the link:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hom...rbuilt-mes-b-digl-smoker/2958456.uts?slotId=1

Appreciate all the help this forum provides.

HC

Does anyone have a new MES 340G 40 inch Electric smoker like the ones being sold at Sam`s Club currently. I want to get one for my son in Costa Mesa CA but I want to make sure this model can work with the AMAZEN Pellet Tray. I have a Generation 1 MES and have had great results with the AMAZEN Pellet Tray.
Thanks
mds51

Hello Halibut Chaser.
I was in a similar position, I have over 10 years with a Bradley, and a few months with a borrowed MES 30.
I asked if anyone had experience with the new Pit Boss vertical electric smoker, the response was limited as they are fairly new to electric smokers, but have a good following for their pellet smokers.
Well I pulled the trigger on the Pit Boss at Home Depo knowing I could return it if I didn't like it. I got the 3 series electric with the 4 shelves.
I have assembled it, done the burn in. and a first smoke. I will do a full review of it here after one more smoke.

But I will say I am very impressed with it. Very well thought out in design, and function.

IMG_9093.jpg

Thanks Hillbilly!...wont get to town for a while but after all is said and done, I believe I'll go with the MES40 and see how that does. After researching this forum and knowing what I intend to do, this should work just fine.

Say folks...don't know how important or not a window is, but I just saw this on Cabelas website:
Masterbuilt® Adventure Series MES 140B Digital Electric Smoker...assuming because it is new it is a Gen2.5.
here is the link:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hom...rbuilt-mes-b-digl-smoker/2958456.uts?slotId=1

Appreciate all the help this forum provides.

HC
If you see a good price, snag it up. The window isn't all that needed. Mine is completely opaque now. It's hard to clean it for me, so I stopped doing so..and given sub zero temperatures, I am less inclined to do so.

Thanks, Tom...hopefully I can get to town before they are sold. I couls order on line from Cabelas, but I want to look at it 1st.

Yeah the window is a gimmick to sell smokers. I never clean mine. Plus the glass doesn’t insulate as well as a real door.

Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky