Electric Smoker Purchase Advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I see all these gadgets for cold smoking. What exactly is cold smoking? I apologize for asking a million questions, but I really want to start to go full bore on this smokin' thang and I am getting anxious to get started. My backyard is pretty much it for gatherings year round. I wow them with my cooking and BBQ'ing and I want to master the smoke like youz guyz. Thanks!
cold smoking is for cheese, jerky, sausage, bacon, etc. Basically smoke with little or no additional heat. Damn, fish, you're addicted already and you haven't even gotten the smoker yet! Lots of good folks and info here. Just ask and you'll get all the answers you can handle.

Last edited:
Reactions: big fish
A lot of fish, ribs and pig candy. 
drool.gif
 Thanks Dog!

Smoking-It #2 user here!!!   Good choice to stay away from MES.  Mine pissed me off and was a waste of money.  That's my .02

As for Xtras?  I got the stand and LOVE IT, Got the cover.....and LOVE IT......got the cord hanger and.....well you get the picture.   I use this thing every weekend and without fail it gives me great Q.  One piece of advice DONT USE TOO MUCH WOOD.  I typically use only 2-3 chunks.  This is a tight smoker box and it holds the smoke well.  Enjoy

Reactions: marauder
Yes DiggingDogFarm, but not attached (from what I understand). I am looking at #3. I just post this at their site and does it make sense?

What I don't get is, why is everyone modding these smoking-it smokers with additional electronics, when the other guys have them already installed when you buy them? I really don't mind the extra cash layout, but it's done and calibrated already off the show room floor - for a more precise finished product (via temperature)? It's all about the perfect end product, right? I'm a low voltage guy and know the damage one could do if modded incorrectly (voids the warranty - boat anchor). And I'm not being cocky here, just trying to make sense of it all - and I know "schtuff" needs to be modded to suit one's needs, but getting the correct temp seems like a big deal (KEY) when smoking.

quite a jump in price to the #4 with PID  ultimately the end result is the IT (internal Temperature)  even if youre using a UDS (ugly drum smoker) or a stick burner. .. even if you were take your oven out into the yard ( not recommended) put wood on the element you got a smoker!

My old ice chest freezer modded is looking better and better. 
irony.gif

I been very happy with my smoking tex had it 3 yrs. no problem. can do 4 butts or 6 racks of ribs. cold smoke 2 bellies.

Yes DiggingDogFarm
, but not attached (from what I understand). I am looking at #3. I just post this at their site and does it make sense?

What I don't get is, why is everyone modding these smoking-it smokers with additional electronics, when the other guys have them already installed when you buy them? I really don't mind the extra cash layout, but it's done and calibrated already off the show room floor - for a more precise finished product (via temperature)? It's all about the perfect end product, right? I'm a low voltage guy and know the damage one could do if modded incorrectly (voids the warranty - boat anchor). And I'm not being cocky here, just trying to make sense of it all - and I know "schtuff" needs to be modded to suit one's needs, but getting the correct temp seems like a big deal (KEY) when smoking.

There's a big difference (or differences) between just an electronic temperature controller and a PID.
If you don't need precision, and you certainly don't for BBQ...why not just go with the simple analog on the Smokin-It...there's much less to go wrong compared to built-in electronics.
I'm not a fan of modifying the smoker either, but some do it...these smokers are obviously intended for low and slow smoking....250 degrees or lower and I have no need to change it.
Some folks who have done the mod have installed a thermal cut-out switch as a safety in case the smoker, for some reason, over heats.

HTH

~Martin

I would be using mostly for ribs, fish, butts, chicken, turkey - mostly bbq. My girlfriend and her sister (Off the boat from Ireland - no taste buds - they like everything well done) love my ribs as they are - but I know a smoker will take them (ribs) to another level. I am still looking and Smokin-it never called me back yet. I did however, gotten return calls from 2 others.

Martin...... You are right on again...... GOOD JOB ferreting out the finer details.... One more day I learned something....

From TSM owners manual.....

Our smokehouses are about as simple to operate as your kitchen
stove. The proper and efficient operation of this smokehouse rests with you. This
appliance is equipped with one control and thermostat sensor located on the
internal back wall. Take extra care not to damage or The thermostat control has a
range from 50° F to 200° F. The ideal temperature when smoking sausage is 165°
F. This can be monitored by checking the displayed temperature on the control
display or with a third-party high-temperature rated thermometer.
THE SMOKEHOUSE TEMPERATURE SHOULD NEVER EXCEED 170° F AT
ANY TIME WHEN SMOKING MEATS.

That's probably the only thing I will not be smoking...oh wait, I have a grinder and sausage stuffer - I just might. DiggingDogFarm you're the sausage king right? Actually, I'd love to make those pinwheels with the cheese and parsley in them.

I have to agree with Pineywoods & Geerock.

Get the MES 40 & save the rest of the money for other goodies, like Piney said, but like Geerock said, make sure it's a Gen #1, because the Gen #2 has given MES a bad name.

I have an All SS MES 40 Gen #1 for 4 years, and it worked great right out of the box, and never faltered. No big mods needed. The only other thing you need is an AMNPS, and you'll have controlled heat & consistently controlled smoke. Also a window in the door, so you can see what's going on if you want, without opening the door, and a remote control to check or change things without even going to the smoker.

Bear

•  
  • Bearcarver, does the Gen 1 MES 40" come without the glass? Kind of useless. It's not cheap "feelin?" I can't stand cheap tools. Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky