Electric element in build - do they "need" airflow or not?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dward51

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 24, 2011
McDonough, GA
I've been looking at some of the other builds in posts, and I have a question about using electric elements and digital PID's for control.  Some of the builds also have a high temp air circulating fan that blows air across the electric heating element.  Usually these are the finned elements. The webpages I've looked at where the elements are being sold do not mention constant airflow.

Is this something that must be done to keep the element from burning out or is there some advantage in temp stability throughout the cabinet? 

No they do not need airflow but you do need some ventlation in your smoker to keep the smoke from getting stale..

Air is a good thing

You'll get better combustion and less creosote

Also, you need to evacuate the moisture somehow

You can always shut the intake down

Todd

Thanks...

Yes I was clear on some air is needed to sustain the smoke flow and combustion of the smoldering pellets. I'm planning on using one of Todd's AMNPS in the build for the smoke source if I ever get my design finalized in my head. I'm familiar with the need for some sort of fresh air intake and exhaust for that to work.  The desire to use an AMNPS is one reason I'm asking this question as I'm thinking the constant airflow movement from a re-circulation blower will decrease the burn time on the AMNPS as it would be like "fanning" or constantly blowing the smoldering pellets making them burn much faster.   Another question I would have with a re-circulation if is does the smoke build up on the fan shaft and eventually gum up the bearings?  Smoke "seasoning" seems to coat pretty much everything inside every smoker I've ever seen.  I would plan on doing "hot" smokes as well (225 to 250 range).

I have seen several metal cabinet builds on here (converted food warmers) where they used a high temp squirrel cage blower to constantly move air over the finned elements.  Walleye1's build is one I can think of off the top of my head.  I just was not sure if this was a must have to keep the heating element from burning up or just something the builder decided to do.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/72491/home-built-electric-with-pictures

Here is a few of his photos with what I'm talking about.  In the first one the blower and return duct are on the lower left of the side of the cabinet.  The 2nd photo is of the inside showing the air intake to the fan and the return over the finned elements. Of course he used a Bradley puck smoker for his build so the smoldering pucks are somewhat shielded from the fan air flow.

And to Walleye1 if you read this, that is one sweet build you did.

fb37ebd6_IMGP0503.jpg

a8f5a3dc_IMGP0505.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky