Electric Brinkmann for first smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big e

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Crestwood,Kentucky
Hey gang,

I just joined and am currently lookin to purchase my first smoker. I was pretty much settled on a Brinkmann GDC (gourmet delux coal), but I happened upon a guy that has a new Brinkmann electric for $40. Good deal me thinks.

So here is my line of thinking at this point. I planned on getting the Brinkmann GDC and thought that I could always add a hotplate and use it as a electric if I wanted to try out the electric side. Now.. can I also use the electric as a coal smoker if I add a coal pan?

It would be nice to have both options available.... I guess.

What I am I not thinking of here. You are the smoke gods.

Thoughts? Feelings? Ideas?

BIG E

I would get the electric and you can always pick a charcoal one at wally world for under 30 bucks. Around my parts the charcoal brinkmann is like 28 buck at wally world. Not sure if its the same one you were looking at.
Either way not a bad deal. Just my two cents.

Kookie

Like Kookie said,
Get the electric! $40 is a good/great deal.
You can get the cheap charcoal model later for $28 at Walmart.

Most of the ECB electrics have no temp gauge and no temp control. You can alway mod these improvements in if you are handy with tools. If not, just be aware of these limitations.

Hi Big E,

I agree with all the good advice you have already received here. I think electric is a great way to "get your feet wet " Q'ing.

I might suggest that you also consider looking into the Char-Broil electric H20 units as well.

They can be had for little to not much more $$$ than you are considering already, and they have thermostatically controlled heating element to boot.

They are great little units to learn some of the basics on, and can turn out some purty fine BBQ as well. I have one that I still use and love it.

Oh yeah, you may already know this, but if you're going to get any " Bullet type " smoker, and plan on doing Ribs, you might want to look at some "Rib Racks" also. Makes it easier to fit them in the smoker.

Best of luck with your choice.

YB

Limitation's???
Iv'e said this a hundred times, the ECB's are set to run at 240 degree's, all day, every day, barring wind and polar air!!!
Get the electric to learn the basic's on then get the coal burner to learn heat management!! Ya can't go wrong!!
wink.gif

Buy it, take it home and try it. Dollar for dollar and pound for pound I think it is the best off of the shelf electric that there is. (I am a bit biased, being on my fourth or fifth in like 20+ years) Don't worry that there are no controls or bells and whistles, you don't need them. Yes, there is a size problem. You will need to trim larger racks of ribs or use a rib rack and slightly curve your ribs and full sized briskets may need a little scrunching or curving.

The best modification that I can conceive of is to add a couple of more grates/grills so that more of the smaller stuff can be smoked at one time. I simply drilled holes in the side and stuck a 1/4-20 x 2" bolts in there with nuts tightened down so that the bolts stuck into the smoke chamber and will support another rack.

Avoid adding extension cords to pretty much all elecrtic smokers, but if you got to, use the fattest and shortest you can find.

An electric like this one will teach you all about "Time" and just how sloooow it can move. You will be very hard pressed to burn anything
icon_lol.gif

Not slamming it bubba. I have an ECB charcoal version, 29 years old now. My statement was just a warning. I have trained a few of my fellow Florida Sportsman members that have gotten this smoker and I can attest it will not maintain 240, 250 according to Angelfish, atleast when it gets rained on
wink.gif
Wind and ambient temps will also play with the smokers temps too. When the weather is stable, this will be one great stable smoker. My point was sometimes a person wants to smoke at 275º to 300º, with this smoker, when first bought, without mods, you will not be able to do this. Adding a temp gauge to it is very simple, putting it on a rheostat will not be too hard either and make this a much better smoker than when it comes straight out of the box.

Get the sucker! If you really get hooked and deep into smoking you'll want to play w as many different kinds as you can afford.

Have fun!

I was.
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

I don't own the electric brinkman. My imput comes from comments made by others that DO own it. It is a great machine, but as with ANY smoker, it does have some draw backs that can be improved on. My charcoal one had its short comings also.

Dude I absolutely LOVE my Brinkman Electric. The Temp is steady and the only two down sides are that you have limited space and you can't plug any thing else into that circuit while smoking. Just to give you an idea of how long it takes to smoke a brisket, Plan on staying around the house for around ten hours or so. You will enjoy this smoker. You will also burnup a tree using this smoker.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky