Electric Bill

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by suprfast, Feb 27, 2009.

1. suprfast

suprfast Meat Mopper

Let me start by saying, "i hope this is in the correct spot, if not TOO BAD[​IMG]"

I just received my first full electric bill after buying the electric brinkman.
    AHHHH, it went up less than FIVE DOLLARS($5.00) per month and i use it quite frequently. I pay 11 cents per KW for the first X amount and 13 cents for the next X amount.

To put that in perspective my brinkman is 1500 W or 1.5KW / hr.

11 cents x 1.5 kw = 16.5 cents per hour to run.

Lets break it down further:

4 hours to smoke ribs = 66 cents

8 hours for brisket = $1.32

I would use it about 30 hours per month +/- a few hours so its roughly 5.00/month to run my brinkman.

Glad i could share how happy i am.
    kris

2. fishawn

fishawn Smoking Fanatic

Glad for you & your 17" Biceps......

3. sea_munky

sea_munky Smoke Blower

Nice work on the price break down. When you compare that to what I pay for lump, it's practically free! ($6 for 10 lb bag...and that's when I can find it.)

4. smokeguy

smokeguy Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Your figures assume that it will always be on and heating. Since the heat will cycle on and off, you will use considerably less than that, probably about 1/3 less would be my guess.
    Nice numbers though. My MES is 800 watts, so I can sort of guess from there on what I'm using since I don't know my KW $.

5. mikey

mikey Smoking Fanatic

Actually the Brinkmann does not cycle on & off so suprfasts' figures are more than likely correct. :D

6. smokeguy

How does it keep the temperature at a certain level if it doesn't turn off the element?

7. mikey

mikey Smoking Fanatic

It will keep a steady 225-250 depending on the weather. I use sand in the pan which helps to keep temps up & I vented the lid to keep the smoke moving. Not exactly "set it & forget it" as some folks tend to think about wattburners.

8. smokeguy

Wow, I didn't know that. What sort of temperature range do you get from dead of winter like at 40 degrees & breezy, and then mid summer at 95 degrees and no wind? I could imagine the temps getting pretty high in the summer if it hits the temps in the winter.

9. mikey

mikey Smoking Fanatic

It's pretty rare to get temps in the 40's in So. Cal, but we had a few days of those this "winter". I made up a cheap "smoking jacket" from a water heater blanket, which helped when the wind kicked up. During the summer I won't use sand in the pan as I probably won't need it. Push comes to shove, I can always use my Char-Broil which has a 1650 watt element w/thermostat control to dial things down a bit.