Electric Bill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

suprfast

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Let me start by saying, "i hope this is in the correct spot, if not TOO BAD
biggrin.gif
"

I just received my first full electric bill after buying the electric brinkman.
AHHHH, it went up less than FIVE DOLLARS($5.00) per month and i use it quite frequently. I pay 11 cents per KW for the first X amount and 13 cents for the next X amount.

To put that in perspective my brinkman is 1500 W or 1.5KW / hr.

11 cents x 1.5 kw = 16.5 cents per hour to run.

Lets break it down further:

4 hours to smoke ribs = 66 cents

8 hours for brisket = $1.32

I would use it about 30 hours per month +/- a few hours so its roughly 5.00/month to run my brinkman.

Glad i could share how happy i am.
kris

Nice work on the price break down. When you compare that to what I pay for lump, it's practically free! ($6 for 10 lb bag...and that's when I can find it.)

Your figures assume that it will always be on and heating. Since the heat will cycle on and off, you will use considerably less than that, probably about 1/3 less would be my guess.
Nice numbers though. My MES is 800 watts, so I can sort of guess from there on what I'm using since I don't know my KW $.

Actually the Brinkmann does not cycle on & off so suprfasts' figures are more than likely correct. :D

It will keep a steady 225-250 depending on the weather. I use sand in the pan which helps to keep temps up & I vented the lid to keep the smoke moving. Not exactly "set it & forget it" as some folks tend to think about wattburners.

Wow, I didn't know that. What sort of temperature range do you get from dead of winter like at 40 degrees & breezy, and then mid summer at 95 degrees and no wind? I could imagine the temps getting pretty high in the summer if it hits the temps in the winter.

It's pretty rare to get temps in the 40's in So. Cal, but we had a few days of those this "winter". I made up a cheap "smoking jacket" from a water heater blanket, which helped when the wind kicked up. During the summer I won't use sand in the pan as I probably won't need it. Push comes to shove, I can always use my Char-Broil which has a 1650 watt element w/thermostat control to dial things down a bit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky