Egg Recall

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbally

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 24, 2007
Western Colorado
With the amount of people sick from the raw eggs this past three months, I wonder if Alton Brown will do another great spoof on the egg police thing?

The guys a food safety nightmare at best.(actually most of food networks people are).......  I would love to know if he reads the 380 million eggs recalled and thinks that th 325 people sickened and 8 dead are just collateral damage?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100819/D9HM8BL82.html

Last edited:
I guess it depends if you are one of the collateral - just sayin

I used to like his show when he first started but he has been doing some crazy unsafe stuff in the last couple of years

So, I guess that because there was an issue with eggs from one company called "Wright County Eggs" in Iowa, this means that you must accuse the whole industry and a network of being unsafe?

So, I guess that because there was an issue with eggs from one company called "Wright County Eggs" in Iowa, this means that you must accuse the whole industry and a network of being unsafe?
Never accused a whole network, never accused an industry.

Just a point that poo pooing proper handling and safe cooking tends to bite one in the backside at some point.  And used as an example a person who is constantly poking at the USDA egg rules.

Sorry if you somehow read that as poking at the industry and a network.  I certainly don't see that in it.

Actually whats really sad is that an entire industry is going to take a hit because somebody didn't bother to follow the proper food safety procedures. Hopefully they can track down the cause whether it be at the farm or from an outside source and get it corrected. I went to a farm food safety class on Friday and heard about lots of new regulations that have been enacted and are going to be enacted over the next couple years. After the big tomato scare a couple years ago they have enacted and are enacting even more regulations to that industry which is probably a good thing but considering that the actual cause was peppers from Mexico I sure hope they are going to be under the same regulations.

It seems so many people think food safety is not needed or doesn't need to be followed until something bad happens if its at your house usually its just your family and maybe a few friends. If its a restaurant or a grocery store more people are affected so it gets more attention. When its a large supplier or producer it affects even more people and usually gets national attention. Shouldn't we be just as concerned at home as we want the stores that sell us goods and the producers to be regardless of where the problem comes from the results can be just as bad

all i want is an over easy egg to go with my chorrizo con papas! you can now add Hillandale Farms to the list. as i understand it they purchased eggs/birds from Wright County Egg.

Reactions: abigail4476
I don't seem to understand all the AB bashing on this forum, I watch his show and enjoy it, also have bought a few of his books. I have not seen anything i would deem unsafe or even questionable on his show.

Piney discussed what I would call a "ladder of responsibility" starting with the individual cook and moving all the way up to the major manufacturers and importers of food products.  I am willing to bet that the  number of people sickened by bad eggs from the producer pales in comparison to the number of people sickened by careless or clueless individual cooks.   Can't tell you the number of times I ate boiled crabs or shellfish that have been sitting in the refrigerator a couple of days too long and spent the weekend trying to shove my stomach back into my body.  Or the number of times I watched my sister cut a chicken and then after running the knife under lukewarm water to rinse it cut up a bowl of tomatoes. Or my father in law's turkey stuffing that was removed from an undercooked (still cool at the joints) Thanksgiving turkey and served to the family. 

We as individuals are our biggest problem but we need to hold the suppliers to a high standard.  I am 100 percent for fresh, safe food supplies.  I think that when we spend our money on food we naturally believe that it's healthy and pathogen free. 

But knowing what I know about the habits of some cooks I go out of my way to take responsibility to either watch the food as it is prepared or to avoid suspect dishes served by friends and family.

Want to cause some stink in the family.  Try  telling everyone that the Thanksgiving stuffing came out of an undercooked bird.  I tell my wife (her family) and then spend my time eating the fresh vegetable trays (from Winn Dixie) and what I brought.  I have learned to look over the food as it arrives and either slip it in the oven to bring to temp or bring to a near boil on the stove top. 

In the old days young women took classes in Home Economics where they learned the basics of safe food preparation.  In today's society I am willing to bet that the vast majority of busy cooks know very little about the safe preparation of home cooked meals.

Last edited:
380 MILLION eggs is not a small thing.  I do not see anything in Bob's post accusing the egg industry...  Television networks care about two things ratings and profit... if you remember that you should be okay...  They are not food safety experts...

I don't seem to understand all the AB bashing on this forum, I watch his show and enjoy it, also have bought a few of his books. I have not seen anything i would deem unsafe or even questionable on his show.
You have to remember, Alton Brown is an entertainer not a food safety expert.  Everything on his show is scripted to optimize viewers and network ratings.  If you want to learn food safety take everything you see on TV with the understanding it is for entertainment and network ratings.  They could care less about safety as long as they maintain an audience.

I don't understand the Alton Brown bashing either or the Giada bashing..

I don't have to agree with their practices 100% and me not agreeing does not make me right and them wrong or vise versa.

Food safety is open to some interpretation and while most of let the USDA do that for us, it is a very personal thing as well.

I do not like the disrespect that I am seeing toward folks who I consider to be great chef's and people who are well respected and watched by millions.

I would be pretty embarrassed if Alton Brown or Giada came upon this site during some research or web browsing (I'm sure it happens) and finds this type of material.

Just give that some thought when posting and creating threads on this forum..

I would be pretty embarrassed if Alton Brown or Giada came upon this site during some research or web browsing (I'm sure it happens) and finds this type of material.

Just give that some thought when posting and creating threads on this forum..
Jeff, I want you to know I did give it thought.  My hope is if Alton reads it he stops making fun of the USDA regs and stops teaching people they are for other people.  I don't mind any of the chefs in the publics eye, but I expect them to set the bar very high, not lower it by poo pooing in public very important food safety facts and regulations.

With public presentations comes certain responsibilities.

Jeff, I want you to know I did give it thought.  My hope is if Alton reads it he stops making fun of the USDA regs and stops teaching people they are for other people.  I don't mind any of the chefs in the publics eye, but I expect them to set the bar very high, not lower it by poo pooing in public very important food safety facts and regulations.

With public presentations comes certain responsibilities.
Bbally,

I completely understand that however, I do not want this forum to be the place that sets that record straight unless we can do it in a very respectful manner with absolutely no character assassination.

Everyone,

I am not pointing fingers at anyone specifically.. just asserting the direction that I want for this forum.

I appreciate everyone's adherence to this direction.

We don't ALL agree on what food safety is and I can tell you that while we use the USDA for the most part on this forum, I do not personally abide by everything the USDA says. Most folks don't and I can tell you that while that may be unfortunate, that is the way of our society and the way in my home at times and with certain foods.

I buy eggs from a local guy and they were laid that morning when I get them. They go straight into the fridge. I like my eggs over-easy with the yolk still running. I wouldn't ever eat eggs any other way.. firm egg is just nasty in my opinion
PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif

Over easy is totally against the USDA recommendations for cooking eggs for 2-3 minutes per side with firm yellow and firm white.

There again.. food safety is important but it is also something you have to decide for your own family at a very personal level.

My parents would both die before they would eat beef that was not cremated to a well done almost burnt condition.. I like mine medium rare most of the time.

I have friends who test poultry by looking for clear juice.. I use a thermometer.

As you can see, I may not do things the way other folks do but  I make an informed decision about what I am comfortable with in my own home.

If you ask me how to fry an egg.. I am not going to tell you to cook it for 2-3 minutes on each side as recommended by the USDA, I am going to tell you to get the outer white done, flip it, cook 15 seconds then flip again quickly before scooping it out of the pan.

I'm just telling you how I do it.

If I were on network TV, I would do the same and obviously folks could take my advice or leave it at their own discretion.

Name ANY chef, TV or otherwise and study their cooking practices and I think you will find that they have a way that they do things that may or may not line up with the way that any of us do it. It also may or may not line up with the USDA recommendations.

My original statement was that I did not want this forum to be about setting every mainstream chef straight.. I am certainly not opposed to discussing methods in a more generic and non personal way.

There is nothing productive about tearing down all of the chefs, well known or otherwise, who don't seem to abide by the USDA government recommendations.

Reactions: abigail4476
Jeff,

The problem arises when someone assumed to be an authority doesn't mention the risks they are taking or more importantly the risks you are taking by following their direction.  

And it is amplified when those people then poke fun at the code as if it is to be followed by those who don't know.  Which leads to a disregard for safety practices.

Jeff, I understand what you are saying and won't bother again on the food network attitude toward food safety.  But the web does equalize ALL miss information.

USDA does allow for soft cooked eggs.  If removed from the fridge, and cooked and served immediately.

Last edited:
Thank you 
Jeff for that post. 

Bbally,

I completely understand that however, I do not want this forum to be the place that sets that record straight unless we can do it in a very respectful manner with absolutely no character assassination.

Everyone,

I am not pointing fingers at anyone specifically.. just asserting the direction that I want for this forum.

I appreciate everyone's adherence to this direction.

We don't ALL agree on what food safety is and I can tell you that while we use the USDA for the most part on this forum, I do not personally abide by everything the USDA says. Most folks don't and I can tell you that while that may be unfortunate, that is the way of our society and the way in my home at times and with certain foods.

I buy eggs from a local guy and they were laid that morning when I get them. They go straight into the fridge. I like my eggs over-easy with the yolk still running. I wouldn't ever eat eggs any other way.. firm egg is just nasty in my opinion
PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif

Over easy is totally against the USDA recommendations for cooking eggs for 2-3 minutes per side with firm yellow and firm white.

There again.. food safety is important but it is also something you have to decide for your own family at a very personal level.

My parents would both die before they would eat beef that was not cremated to a well done almost burnt condition.. I like mine medium rare most of the time.

I have friends who test poultry by looking for clear juice.. I use a thermometer.

As you can see, I may not do things the way other folks do but  I make an informed decision about what I am comfortable with in my own home.

If you ask me how to fry an egg.. I am not going to tell you to cook it for 2-3 minutes on each side as recommended by the USDA, I am going to tell you to get the outer white done, flip it, cook 15 seconds then flip again quickly before scooping it out of the pan.

I'm just telling you how I do it.

If I were on network TV, I would do the same and obviously folks could take my advice or leave it at their own discretion.

Name ANY chef, TV or otherwise and study their cooking practices and I think you will find that they have a way that they do things that may or may not line up with the way that any of us do it. It also may or may not line up with the USDA recommendations.

My original statement was that I did not want this forum to be about setting every mainstream chef straight.. I am certainly not opposed to discussing methods in a more generic and non personal way.

There is nothing productive about tearing down all of the chefs, well known or otherwise, who don't seem to abide by the USDA government recommendations.

I have to tip my hat to Alblancher.  I know that since joining the SMF my knowledge of food safety (as viewed through the eyes of the USDA) has grown dramatically.  I too, often have trouble figuring out how to be polite and "pass" on something someone else has cooked because I find the preperation to be suspect at best.  This in many ways has made enjoying a meal made by someone else a bit of a challenge.  But more importantly I know that what I'm doing and what I'm teaching other smokers (here and friends that I smoke with) usually errs on the side of caution.

Now about Alton.  I have a ton of respect for this guy.  He's like many of us, only on steroids.  His career started out as a cinematographer. He took his knowledge of television production and his love of food and combined those two things and launched a

career that few can rival in the world of TV food shows.  His methods and tastes are a little eclectic if not eccentric.  Yes Mr. Brown and the Food Netwok (include all other personalities and shows/networks here) have some responsibility to pass along food safety information.  However, these all of these shows have a goal of showing the viewer a final product in a manner that is enjoyable or entertaining to watch. 

With nearly every ingredient they could run through an entire litany of food safety dos and don'ts.  There simply isn't time.  Alton in particular does often tend to poo-poo conventional USDA safety procedures in favor of what many would consider "conventional" cooking methods.  See comments above about runny eggs, clear chicken juices, etc.  We've lost some good and not-so-good members here at the SMF over the very topic of USDA Regulations vs. "Traditional" Cooking Methods (also known as that's how my mom used to do it).

There's really no benefit to us condemning or condoning a TV personality.  If I may so bold as to make a recommendation...if you see a TV show related to cooking where the host specifically says something that you know is wrong per USDA standards.  Start a thread that says what show you saw and what specifically was done that was wrong.  But know that if you're going to do this, there are enough folks on here who will call you out if you are wrong.  I think we have an obligation to say something like "Jim on Chicken Lovers of Chicken TV said it's perfectly safe to eat raw chicken that has been sitting at room temperature all night".  This is an extreme example, but hopefully you get the point. 

Enjoy your meals.  Enjoy learning new stuff from food TV shows.  But don't take them as gospel.

This rant is done.    :)

sorry but that is just plain funny............and i don't care who you are.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky