ECB W/Smokey Joe for fire pan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinstevo27

Master of the Pit
Original poster
8b6364e7_smoker.jpg
404df551_smoker2.jpg
Hey everyone, Im new to the sight and was wondering if anyone else has ever taken the bottom of a smokey joe and used it for the fire pan on a ecb. I've recently done this and am amazed at the temps that are possible. My problem is that its actually getting too hot (300 and higher) Any temp control advice out there for a beginner?

Last edited:
Welcome to SMF do you have pics of your mod if so post them and then we can see what your up to and maybe make some suggestions

Thanks for the welcome. I havent taken any pics yet, but its the basic brinkmann with legs on outside and the business end of a weber smokey joe underneath. I has done a few butts perfectly with a stock ecb but it was so difficult to get up to temp and such a PITA to replenish coals that I made the changes. I am pining away for a WSM but Im still having a blast with my clunker ecb!

I too have used the "business end" of a smokey joe with the barrel of an ECB.  However, my "Smokey Joe" seems to be a bit larger than those you can get today.

87db9383_DSCN4365.jpg

I took the legs off of the ECB and set it down into the Weber base.  I had to use some stove rope gasket to seal up the bottom where the ECB sets into the Weber and I also moved the air intake holes to underneath the coal grate.  I do have great temp control now.  Almost like a mini drum smoker.

Can you tell me the distance between the water pan and the smokey joe base. What i am asking is from the top rim of the SJ to the bottom of the water pan.

Thanks, newbe here

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky