ECB Modifications Effectiveness

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deanoaz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Peoria, Arizona
Okay, I'm going to tell on myself & my age-deteriorating brain to explain how I discovered the effectiveness of an ECB mod.  I put all of the mod's on that I found through the forum and they got my ECB perking right along at about 225+- a few degrees.  Then a couple of smokes back I discovered the temperature at the thermometer in the lid had dropped to around 200.  Yesterday I did a pork butt and towards the end it was dropping enough that I had to pull the can and look at the charcoal pan.  I had not had any problem with dropping temp's before!?!?  "Gee, I wonder why I have quite a bit of ash blocking the holes in the pan (also part of the mod)".
icon_question.gif

icon_idea.gif
Wait, the expanded metal grate is gone! 
hissyfit.gif
  I had thrown the grate out when I had emptied the dead ashes before.  But besides that, I had done a smoke session since then and it didn't even occur to me that the grate was gone.  I had to do a 20 minute rush job on a new grate to get the pork putt saved.  It did turn out great; relief since it was my first.

The combo of holes drilled in the pan, plus an ash grate made a minimum of a 20 degree difference.

laugh1.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky