Eating Charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cwblile

Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Germany
Hello all from the newbie. I'm new to smoking and forums. I've never smoked meat before and could use some advise. I'm currently stationed in Germany and can't get my hands on any Mom and Pop's pit BBQ. Being an Okie my craving got the best of me and I broke down and purchased a propane Smoke Hollow smoker. It looks like a big safe, with a water holder and wood case. It came with no instructions so I did some Googling and came up with a rib rub. I rubbed the ribs down and also through on a pork butt. I kept the temp at 200 degrees and it smelled like I was making some mouth watering ribs and sandwiches. I checked them at the three hour point and everything was charcoal. Not wanting to make the same mistake can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Hello, and welcome to the SMF. My first question is, did you calibrate the original therm? Test it against one that has been calibrated. Most of us replace the factory unit somewhere down the line. I'm not familiar with your smoker, but you need to check whatever is reading the cabinet temp. Good luck.

is there any way you can post pics of your set-up? what therm. are you using? was the smoke thin and blue, or thick and white?

Welcome to SMF cwbile!!!
I wouldn't trust the factory thermometer...Mine is so far off, it's useless!!

Welcome to the Forum! Ditto here with the original temp gauge. Found mine to be off almost 40*degree's . Went to Walmart and bought a digital one.That solved the problem.

Welcome to the forum. We also need to know what kind of wood/chips are you using?

Remember I'm new at this. I purchased a digital thermometer and haven't opened it. From the way that it looks the probe goes in the meat. Am I correct on that?

You can also put the probe thru a cork or piece of wood to set it on the rack to get the chamber temp.

For ribs, use the digital for grate temps.
Just stick it through a potato or a piece of wood to hold it. make sure the tip is sticking out to read air temp. Use that to monitor your chamber temps instead of the factory thermometer. Thermos aren't really good for ribs...not enough meat and too much bone. Pick up another digital for meat temps for other cuts of meat.

welcome, the potato trick works great for calibrating, someone around here is sure to have one of them smokers and may be able to give a little advice.

I tried to smoke some more ribs today. The smoke was a thick white for the first two hours then it went to the thin blue. Am I doing something wrong? Also I purchased a digital thermometer and stuck it through a potato. It stayed around 208 degrees and that was as low as the heat would turn down on the valve. NOTE: The ribs were completely done in 2 1/2 hours.

Hello and thanks for serving our country. Most folks around here use something known as the 3-2-1 (or a variation thereof) method for cooking ribs. It involves wrapping the ribs in foil with some liquid for a couple hours in the middle of the cooking process to braise the meat (further tenderizing it), before finishing the ribs in the open are for the last hour or so. Do a search for 3-2-1 and you'll get more detailed results.

You didn't say how the ribs turned out . . . 2.5 hours is a bit fast for them to be done, especially at just 208 degrees. How were they?

There were good but I'm still looking for that perfect rub. I will check out the 3 2 1 and try it again in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky