Easy Jalapeno Salsa/Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richoso1

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 21, 2007
Jalapeno Salsa/sauce:
(12) fresh green jalapenos (with/without seeds/membrane)
(4) peeled garlic cloves
(2) 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
(1) Small handful of chopped cilantro
Salt to taste

Put all ingredients in a blender/food processor till itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s at the texture you like, then add the cilantro. If it is too thick, add small amount of water. This is a hot mix, for milder version use less jalapenos.
c641c2ae_vbattach15394.jpg

b7ed9151_vbattach15393.jpg

I bet you could cut the heat and get a great flavor by substituting Anaheim's or poblanos for part of the jalepenos. Sounds like a great salsa though. I will have to try it.

Sounds good Dude. If you like hot sauce, here's one you should try .....

Habanera Sauce
  • 1/2 c cider vinegar
  • 1/2 onion, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 carrot, grated
  • 12 habaneras, cored
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/3 c chicken broth
  • 1/4 c tequila (gold)
  • 1 tsp leaf oregano
  • Lawrey's seasoned salt (to taste)
  • 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup honey
  1. SautÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] the onions in the olive oil until they just start to turn golden.
  2. Add the grated carrot and the minced garlic and stir for a minute, just to soften it.
  3. Add the oregano at this time as well. Stir over moderate heat for about a minute.
  4. Add the habaneras and the vinegar bring to a simmer, cover and cook about 10 minutes until the habs are soft.
  5. Remove from heat and cool a little bit. Put in the blender and blend thoroughly.
  6. Put back in the pot and bring to a simmer again.
  7. Add chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, and honey. Add salt to taste. Add the tequila and cook long enough to take away the raw alcohol flavor.
It's pretty hot but the carrots and honey make it so you can taste the flavor of the habs without scorching yourself in the process. The chicken broth and tequila ensure that it's not too vinegary.

That sounds great Rich! I'd have to make two batches though... the wife and grandkids are not real fond of heat, but I am.

Thanks!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Stumbled on something by trial and error... if you substitute smoked sea salt (or smoked salt) for regular salt, this salsa taste like a Chipotle Salsa!

Rich - that's a great, and simple, recipe for salsa that I will be trying for our next company pot-luck. Is the heat really that hot with the seeds and veins removed from the japs? Just curious cause I thought that stuff (seeds and mem) were the heat producers.

Thanks for the qvue!

Sumosmoke, if you're worried about the heat, use 4-5 jalapenos and remove the seeds/membrane from 2 of them. You can always work your way up the heat ladder. Good luck!

... wonder if you substitute some of the tomatoes for some tomatillos, smoked in smoker until they get soft, and dice them up. And maybe grill jalapenos over heat, take off skin, and add them.
Wow, now I'm getting hungry.

Diesel Fanatic, my wife often uses tomatillos in place of tomatoes. We usually buy a 35 lb. bag of New Mexico chiles around Labor Day, we roast them on the grill, peel them, then freeze them up. We're down to our last 5 lbs. Your idea has been tried and it's a very tasty salsa. You've got good imagination!

I do the same with Anaheims ... grow them in the garden, roast, peel, and freeze.
My favorite, is to blend them with tomatillos, cilantro, garlic and onions. Thin it out with chicken broth, and simmer smoked pork in it ... then make tacos or enchiladas with mont jack cheese.
Salsa Verde ... oh yeah!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky