Eastern NC BBQ sauce for chopped pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

keywesmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2007
key west, fl
The carolinas have at least 4 different, distinct sauces in just two states. I enjoy eastern NC, which is butts or shoulders to 200*F then chopped to about 1/4 to 1/2" pieces, it's the exact same flavor as pulled and a lot easier to do. Their sauce parallels SoFlQ's sauce. Pour some in to the chopped meat. Serve on a cwb (cheap white bun) with cold cole slaw on top and have this mop/sauce around. It's tangy and truly delicious on pork. This is a recipe that a huge number of BBQ joints use in the area. The important part is to make it a few days ahead of time, so the stuff can get real friendly. I made 40# of Q and a gallon of this for a party and they raved.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce or to taste (less for chilluns)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS
  1. Combine the white vinegar, cider vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper in a jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 days before using so that the flavors will blend. Shake occasionally, and store for up to 2 months in the refrigerator. It won't last more than a day or two if you have enough BBQ around!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky