Easter Feast!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke-n-jr

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
Mascoutah, IL
All Boys

It's Easter and the smoking season has begun! I have an 8 pound chuck and a 6 pound Boston Butt going. I started about 4:30 this morning. 20 degrees out with winds out of the north at 14. Wind chill -2...brrr! But here's a little something to warm you up.

This is the start (pre-rub)

Post-rub

And to wet your whistle!

I'll keep you posted...

-Jr

Nice lookin' meat hunks there. How's the SA White? I like the Belgian style whites, Hoogarden being my fave. Hmm bet it'd make a good rib mop...

Hey Richie

SA White is really not too bad. Blue Moon is an ok Belgian also. If you can get it, the Summit EPA is really good, too. It's made in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

lookin good so far jr. Lets see the end results. I hope ya got better luck with this chuck !
tongue.gif

Sorry for taking so long Cap. It has been a long day. I put the meat on at 430 am and took it off at 530 pm. I had to put it in the oven...again! I was smoking at 250. This is really frustrating. The only thing I can think to do is to split the roast in half. Anyway, on with the show...

Here is the beef...

and the butt...

and the family. I also did 2 lbs of provalone, 1 lb of sharp cheddar, 1 lb mozzarella and 1 lb of string cheese.

My thoughts on the end product were this, the flavor was second to none and had an a half inch smoke ring. My folks were here and they loved it! Well, I'm looking for thoughts. My skin is thick, so give it to me straight. Later

-Jr.

looks good so far, can't wait to see the finished shots!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Do you always do them in foil pans? That might be why they take longer! Not sure, just a thought!

Looks great Jr. Only thought I would offer is that you might consider dropping your temp probes down through the top vent instead of crimping them in the door of your smoker. IMHO, the probes will last longer. Great looking Q!

Thanks guys! It was the best so far!

Cap...sorry I don't have any pics of the finished product because it was 7pm when I was able to pull them.
icon_neutral.gif
This was the first time I used the pans. I didn't think it was a big deal as aluminum conducts heat well and it really made the clean up easy.

BW...Thanks for the tip. I will definitely use that next time!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

-Jr.

Hey Jr, it looks like a successful smoke, oven or not.

I've got a couple of questions and maybe we can help ya. 1. The chuck weighed 2 pounds more than the butt. Did you start it 2-3 hours ahead of the butt? If not, maybe an idea for next time.

What temps were you trying to reach in each one? Maybe we can figure a "procedure" as far as when to start what piece of meat so they finish at the same time.

I'd love to see some pics of the cheese if you have them. That's something i haven't taken up.....yet.

Good luck in the future. You did a great job this time, rep points given. Greg

Hey GT

I started both at the same time, but that's not the issue. I was looking for internal temps at 200. I started at 430 am hoping to be done at 4 pm at the latest.

The cheese, however, didn't get it's picture taken either. It's really easy to do. I smoke cheese in the fall, winter and spring because it's not too warm. It only takes an hour.

Did they have to go in the oven to reach the right temp or what? I think I'm missing something.

That looks great. And I bet it was awesome. As far as it taking so long, the only thing I can offer you (since I have never done a large piece of meet yet, but have read this alot in the forum) is that every piece of meat has a platue. You could have 2 butts both measuring 6 lbs each and they could have diff. lengths of time for smoking. There is no way to know how long a platue will take.

If I am incorrect on this, could someone please correct me. thnx
Hope this helps.
Andy.

Thanks BB

I've read about and experienced plateau's. These did do that. According to my charts, they would gain 2 or 3 degrees for a few hours. I'm beginning to think I need a digital thermometer for internal air temps. Maybe that would help.

-Jr.

Hey, I just did my first smoke with a digital internal thermo and loved it. It was nice knowing what temp the meat was. It also helped get all the side dishes together at the right time so everything was done at once.

I agree that each piece of meat is different (boy, y'all can run with that one if you wanna, hehehe). They all will cook/heat at their own rate.

It wouldn't hurt to cut the roast in half next time. That will increase the surface area exposed to the heat and should help decrease your cook time. If you aren't happy with those results, keep the roast whole and just plan on eating when it's up to temp. You are definitely on the right track with tracking temperatures instead of time. I'd give you another rep but it won't let me so soon.

If one meat is done before the other, pull it off the smoker, wrap it in foil, then in a couple of towels and throw in a cooler. It should hold nicely until the more stubborn piece of meat is ready.

Hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

looks like 2 big cuts of meat.... i was also going to mention about the foil pan, as you'd think that it is hindering heat getting to the meat.... i dunno but i found that cooking without helped (i think)

mind if i ask wat prices you paid for the beef n pork

any leftovers? if so pass them this way

Jr. You need to get a remote digi! I use my mavericks every smoke. The 73 is a good unit, and to have the chamber temp along with meat temp in the same unit is a huge tool for good success.More than once you have had some issues with timetables on your smokes. It makes me wonder if the temps in your smoker are what they are supposed to be!
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

All meats are different, and as I posted a couple days ago, 2 identical sized butts treated the same way, cooked right next to each other, with remote digi's in each one, and a 3 hr difference between finish times!
icon_cry.gif

Was no big deal to me. I learned along time ago, never plan a meal around a Butt, Chuck, or Brisket smoke. You'll be frustrated more than not. Too easy to do them the day before, and warm them up on the big dinner day/event. Fatties, ribs and ribeyes, well, they are alot more predictable.

The only other advice I could give you if you must entertain hungry guests on smoke day, try to start you meats so that they are done 3-4 hrs before the planned time. If they are done way early, stack em in a cooler, they willstay good and warm for 3-5 hrs if you insulate it well. If they finish an hr before dinner, well then they only get 45 minutes to rest.

I think the 40 bucks spent on a mav 73 will be the best money you have spent in a while, and will do wonders for the stress factor.Q ain't sposed to be stressfull !
wink.gif

gt

the pork finished 1st and I foiled, toweled, and coolered it and when the beef followed suit. Thanks for attempting to pass on some reps.

BBQchris

No problem on the info. I paid 2.14/lb for the beef and 1.04 for the pork.

Kookie
Thanks for the comments

And finally Cap

I don't think I will plan to have a chuck or a butt for that days supper. I will also, look into the thermo you mentioned! I think it would be worth the money. I also don't think I'm cooking as hot as I was think either. Hopefully, this thermo will fix that!

Thanks all!

-Jr.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky