Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks. I tried these at our early 4th party and everyone loved them. I'm a ranch bean guy and decided to try these to please the masses. I didn't expect to like them personally. I do. I'm pretty sure I ate one of the 9 quarts I made.

I shorted the brown sugar and smoked it with apple since I had a bunch sitting around.

I'm actually thinking about making another batch and canning or freezing them to have them on hand. If anyone has canned them before let me know how you did it. It's been years since I've canned anything.

Pounce, glad you liked them! If you do a search of the Recipe sub-forum, you should find my other bean recipe. It's Dutch's Ranch Style bean.

Give 'me a try and let me know how you liked them!

I've been wanting to get into smoking with hardwood charcoal instead of my electric "Frankensmoker," and a friend recently gave to me an even cheaper knock-off of an ECB water smoker that had been left out in her back yard for years. It was all nasty on the inside and all rusty on the outside, with rotting wooden handles, although the charcoal and water pans were in great shape. I replaced all the hardware, including the grill grates, and gave the whole thing a new coat of high-temp paint. looks as good as new, if not even better. So, why am I posting it in this forum? Because the first official smoke on the newly refurbished appliance was a bucket of Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans for a neighborhood block party. The beans were every bit as good as advertised and consumed with great joy! And I made a double batch, so I have some left over to enjoy as it mellows over the next few days. Kudos to Dutch for an awesome contribution to the world of smoking--one that will live forever in the annals of smoking legend.

Attachments

• DSC_0923-001.JPG
    DSC_0923-001.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0924-001.JPG
    DSC_0924-001.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: Dutch
Thanks Derek717. One of my favorite salsa's is made from peaches and habaneros. Just wish I can remember where I misplaced the recipe. . .

What a way to maiden a refurbished ECB, I'm flattered. My first smoker was an ECB. It's still in the family, my daughter "borrowed" it about 8 years ago and hasn't returned it! Oh well, at least it has a good home and is getting used.

If you up size to 2 #10 cans and 5x everything in the recipe you will come out with 80 + 3 oz servings. so it should be enough for side dishy for 100 .

Made my 1st attempt at your "Wicked Baked Beans". To say they were a hit is an understatement. There was only 4 of us (1 bake bean lover and the rest of us just mildly interested), and I was left with less than half of the original recipe. I used coconut sugar instead of brown (cause that is what I had) and added spicy whole grain mustard (cause I forgot the ground mustard when I went to the store). I missed a finished picture apparently (I blame the bourbon). Cooked on a WSM with Pecan chunks. Thanks Dutch for a great recipe, will be making them again!

Attachments

• 20200830_094600.jpg
    20200830_094600.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200830_130403.jpg
    20200830_130403.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 38
Made my 1st attempt at your "Wicked Baked Beans". To say they were a hit is an understatement. There was only 4 of us (1 bake bean lover and the rest of us just mildly interested), and I was left with less than half of the original recipe. I used coconut sugar instead of brown (cause that is what I had) and added spicy whole grain mustard (cause I forgot the ground mustard when I went to the store). I missed a finished picture apparently (I blame the bourbon). Cooked on a WSM with Pecan chunks. Thanks Dutch for a great recipe, will be making them again!
Glad that they were a hit remsp10! Like I've said in other posts on this thread, Change it up to your liking. I've used spicy whole grain mustard myself a time or two-mainly experimenting to see how things taste.

Can't wait to try these bad boys this weekend. Dutch Dutch do you suggest adding the cooked skirt meat trimmings to the beans prior to smoking for the full 2.5-3hrs? Thanks in advance.

Can't wait to try these bad boys this weekend. Dutch Dutch do you suggest adding the cooked skirt meat trimmings to the beans prior to smoking for the full 2.5-3hrs? Thanks in advance.
I'm not Dutch . But i make a whole bunch of these beans. weather it be timings or pork butt ,i put everything into the pan at the start. Just make sure that when you stir them while smoking to make sure the meat is not floating on the surface.

Jack, I'll smoke the trimmings off of the ribs and smoke them along side the pan of beans. About 2 hours in, I'll dice the meat and stir it into the beans. I feel that smoking the trimming for a couple of hour imparts a more smokey flavor to the beans. YMMV

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky