Dump Cake (easy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigal

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 21, 2006
Western Kansas
1 - 29 oz can sliced peaches ( we used 21oz cherries)
1 - small can crushed pineapple( we used 15oz)
1 - Box yellow cake mix (we did this one)
2 tbs butter.......I used 3
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif

Prep: Dump peaches & pineapple into a 12" Dutch oven and mix. Dump the cake mix evenly on top of fruit. Spread pats of butter over the top of the cake mix. Using 16 coals on top(I used 17) and 12 coals under the DO ( I used 13), cook for about 40 minutes or until brown.

Here are the some pics, of course it's the first 3 at top left.
http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z2/lonefarm/

I plan on turning the DO clockwise and the lid counter-clockwise every 15 min.

Steaks and cheesy potatoes will be main course. Plan on some pics of those also........well guess not potatoes, Mama wants "regular" potatoes w/out any smoke flavor.
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif
I should have added that all food must be cooked on smoker in our vowes. Grounds for divorce? ( thats what she said)
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

heheheh..........momma wasn't happy when i first started to get into this hobby......getting tired of smoked food.................NOW she ask's me what i plan on smoking next...........LOLOL

Updated pix. Cake smells real good.

Scum, no leftovers!
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif
Dogs are full now.
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

Good to have a recipe.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Looks damn good. I have had something like it before, years back. Someone made it when we were camping. Just don't remember how they made it but in a dutch oven. Remember it being pretty tastey.

Kookie

WD, been doing this a while now, kids get tired of smoked food. I hear this alot "Brisket AGAIN?!!!"
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Kookie, yep, thats it. Wife always had it when they went camping. I've never had it, not a big "sweets" eater.......don't care for chocolate. I'd rather have another piece of steak.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Yep, Dump cake is a campers "tradition" I guess. ...Maybe thats a hint for me? ........
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
The couch again?!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I wasn't real crazy about them at first, Scum, but now I can see alot of possibilities. Since I have a pellet smoker, it's kinda fun to mess w/fire for the DO.

Don't know what else to make besides cornbread, chili, Wicked beans, and clam chowder, but I'm sure Goat has MANY ideas. Dutch may have 1 or 2 ideas also
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

my wife makes those we throw the dutch oven right in the fire pit and trow coal on the lid it gets done pretty fast burned a few but thats all in the learning process.

A long past freind would make a very simular dish of equal cherries and pinapple with the cake topping and pecans added too if we had them. We called it Memphis Molly.

Many of our dutch oven deserts were some combination of a canned fruit and a cake topping. sometimes the difference would be as subtle as nutmeg or cinnimon (SP)
smile.gif

Ain't no doubt about it, that is some goooood eating!

Made one of these on a recent campout. It came out a bit watery, but good. (we were HUNGRY). we ended up saving some of it and using it to top buttmilk pancakes. Now that was tasty!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky