Dumb Brisket question

Discussion in 'Beef' started by schultzy, Aug 1, 2008.

1. With a whole packer do you have to seperate the flat from the point or can you cook all together. Are there advantages of one way over another if you dont? I just had a side of beef processed and told them I wanted the brisket. It is wrapped in freezer paper so Im not sure how its cut but it feels very big 10-12+#'s, so Im assuming it would be like a packer.

2. doctor phreak

doctor phreak Smoking Fanatic

all of the above....................
    the flat is good for slicing
    the point is good for pulling or burnt ends
    so cook it seperate or whole , really to me i just do the whole thing and have extra....yea

3. grothe

grothe Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If ya got packer & it fits in da smoker, Smoke it whole. Just finished mine. Good luck and happy smokin to ya![​IMG]

4. This is what I was taught by the 2007 NEBS Team of the Year folks:

Always smoke it whole first off. Then take a look at the thing. What you want is to trim it so that it's of uniform height so that it cooks even. To do this you'll need to remove a good amount of fat between the point and the flat. Trim out the hard stuff but not all the way. Trim the fat cap to 1/8 inch thickness. Get your smoker at 225 and place your point nearest the heat on an offset. Foil at 160, add some beer/rub mix and seal. Pull at 195 to 200, let it rest at least 15 minutes and slice away.

-rob

5. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

ALL briskets are dumb Schultzy. I begged my last one on bended knee to tell me when it would be done...no reply... ;{)

6. bbqgoddess

bbqgoddess Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Richtee, maybe your smoke ring wasn't big enough?

7. smoking gun

smoking gun Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Oh no.... Don't tell me Rich has smoke ring envy. He's my hero. [​IMG]