Dry Toast Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmedic25

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 25, 2006
North Georgia
Hello all,
I'm new to the "sport" of smokin. I've been reading a great deal on SM. So i decided to make some beer can chickens at the station the other day. Brought in the the Bar-B-chef offset, got some charcoal and some hickory chunks... Doing good so far. No time to brine so I set the birds on top of some cans and holders. i put some OJ and water in the cans, lemon pepper on the outside. Lit the fire let the coals burn down slightly. Droped the birds on when the temp hit 300. I threw in the birds and handful of hickory. The temp stabilized right at 225. I had to add some more chunks and coal after about an hour. Right about hour 2 i got a call and had to leave...Damn... Got back in an hour or so. Total cooking time 3hrs. I did a temp check at the thickest part of the breast and it was 180 :cry: I knew the damage was done. The birds looked good on the outside. I let them rest for around 15 minutes. The bird's fell apart and smelled good. They had a good smoke flavor but the meat was dry. The white was the worst. Not inedible but not worth the time. I know what i did wrong but I did not think that a whole chicken would cook that fast on a smoker 6lbs. in 3 hrs. Maybe my temp spiked when I had to leave. Oh well I will do better next time.
wink.gif

Love me some smoked bird I dont like to use those can things I make a butter rub(tonys,garlic,Kosher salt, and other spices) and rub the chicken inside and out and even under the skin also stuff the bird with onion and garlic then I use a rosting pan breast side up at first then turn it over after about 1.5 or so no complants yet. Sorry to hear about your Dry bird I know whats it like to leave in the middle of cooking to make a call you do your job and when its over then you worry about your food.

:( Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s ok…If all our smokes were perfect (good luck), where would the challenge lie? Youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve marked it down to experience and learning your smoker. Your next bird will be outstanding! Bring it on! :twisted:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky