Dry Rub Recommendations??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tdbone

Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
How goes it fellas?

Well, I'm going to be back at the smoker again this weekend. I'm headed down to the beach to be with my girlfriends family and extended family (15 people). This will be the first time I meet her dad (Been dating 7 months - He lives in Texas) and I'm smoking ribs for all of 'em - The pressure is on, haha!

Anyways, I was thinking about doing 4-5 BBQ Ribs and 2 Dry Rub Ribs.

I haven't gone totally wild with different sauces or rubs - I usually use store brand stuff:

- Emeril's All Natural Rib Rub
- Variety of flavored sauce made by "Stub's"

My question was:

- Anyone have any recommendations for Rubs that I could buy or put together from your typical grocer? Too late to order anything at this point.

- Also, I imagine that I do the Dry Rub Ribs similar to the way I have done the BBQ Ribs, minus the sauce??

Thanks a ton guys!

Buy Jeff's naked rib rub and you can't go wrong. It is a recipe of basic ingredients you can get at your local grocery store. Don't adjust the recipe it works great just like it is and it is well worth the money trust me.

If your smoking the ribs you'll want to use the rub on all of them and the sauce is more like a dressing for them after their done. The BBQ sauce recipe Jeff sells is very, very good! Havn't found anyone that doesn't like it yet.

Also do a search on 3-2-1 if your not already familiar with that method of doing ribs, it worrks really well.

I've been using Weber's Veggie Grill seasoning as a rub lately and I really like it. I usually add more granulated garlic to it.

word has it that jeffs rub and sauce are second to none. i bought the rub, just havent mixed it yet. otherwise i use a locally mixed rub from here in town.

What he said. I just rubbed up two pork butts with it for the weekend smoke.

On a side note, it's well worth the money plus you get his BBQ sauce recipe to boot. Both recipes end up in your email so it's fast and simple.

Thanks guys.

I just bought it and am ready to use Jeff's Naked Rub!

Just a suggestion: In Jeff's recipe, substitute Turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw) for the brown sugar. It has a higher burn rate which might give you some added insurance for the big event. It also doesn't clump like brown sugar so you get a better mixture of the ingredients.

One last thing, and you may already know this: the night before, slather up the ribs with yellow mustard and apply the rub. Dust it on and pat it in (yea, they should have called it a "pat" not a rub). Carefully wrap in plastic wrap and store in the fridge over night.

I'm not a bark guy when it comes to ribs, so after I apply the rub, I place the ribs in foil with about half a beer or 50/50 applejuice and spiced rum. Keeps them nice and tender.

Enjoy!

I use 2 tbl spoon seasoning salt, 2 tbl spoon garlic powder 2 tbl spoon onion powder 4 tbl spoon brown sugar 1 tbl spoon black pepper and a dash of ground basil.

I like Porker's Rib Seasoning:

I usually add some garlic powder, meat tenderizer (some meat tenderizer have high sodium content so be careful what you use, papian is what I look for), cut back on the paprika & lemon pepper (I have since been using dried ground lemon zest available at the Whole Foods Store and replaced the brown sugar with raw sugar). I also use onion powder instead of onion salt. I put my own amount of kosher salt to the recipe or eliminate it completely. It's according to who is eating it and their health situation.

http://www.diet-and-health.net/Supplements/Papain.html

Jeff's rub is the best thing to use on anything pork. For beef however (and no offense Jeff) if your fond of Texas style BBQ, nothing beats Zack's Brisket Rub. Available in all stores here in Texas or by mail at the site below. Their prices for sausage mixes and various rubs beat almost all other sellers and the products are superb. And no, I'm not affiliated with them at all except to say I have used many of these products and the Brisket Rub extensively.
Jimbo

http://www.zachspice.com/Home_Page.html

I can't say it any better than has already been said. Jeff's rub is an excellent product and well worth the cost. You are paying for 3 things when you order. A great rub, a great bbq sauce and you help keep this site up and running. Well worth the money.

If you have a desire to try other rubs try the magic dust recipe from the book Peace, love and bbq. Its excellent as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky