Dry cured sausages

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
I’ve been using the Umai membranes for years now. While I am happy with the results, I think I’m ready to start doing the real thing. By ready, I mean mentally ready to start learning. I’m clueless. I know I need the equipment, but other than that I am a piece of clay. I tend to research everything maybe even too much, but I know you can’t be too careful when it comes to dry cured meats. I want to make my own dry chorizos and salamis. Can someone help point me in a good starting direction? I know it’s vague, but I’m ready to start learning. I have an old college fridge, it still works. Maybe I can, maybe I can’t convert it but regardless, any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

Hey saint
To start you will need to modify your fridge to include a heat source, a humidity source, and maybe a small fan. So to do this you will need to somehow run 115 AC into the fridge. You didn’t say what kind of fridge you have but you can’t just start drilling holes wherever you want because there are coolant lines running almost everywhere around the outside of the unit. Now, having said that in the smaller units say, 1.7 cu ft, have a hole in the rear that looks like it was meant to be some kind of drain, it is usually filled with some kind of sealant that can be removed.
As far as the heat source goes there are many ways to do it. I use heating pads that are designed for plant propagation, they take very little space and are relatively cheep, the humidity source can be a any small humidifier that will fit in your fridge.
These controllers work very well for these applications I’m sure there are other brands but this is what I use.
D3DBF014-F911-410C-A9A5-FEF6B095ABC0.jpeg

Once you have the fridge set up the drying process is relatively simple. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Cal

P.S. the controllers are available on Amazon or eBay. I’m not much of a fan of either site so pick your own evil.

Last edited:
Reactions: 73saint
Cal, thank you for this great starting point! So, I didn’t mention the fridge model bc I honestly hadn’t thought much about it until I started the thread. It’s a magic chef, and I don’t see the model number yet but I will look for it.

Hey saints,
Two books...
Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages
and
The Art Of Making FERMENTED SAUSAGES

both by Stanley and Adam Marianski

Best money you can spend for getting into fermented meats...period. Get them before you set up your drying chamber and start reading the one dedicated to fermented sausages first so you understand the hurdles involved and how to use them to make fermented sausages safely. The other one is a great reference and has a big section of recipes and history. You will learn a lot from both. You can buy them on Amazon.

Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky