Dry Cured Pork Tenderloin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dukeburger

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2009
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Been meaning to try this one for a while. I'm thinking of new things to give out for Christmas gifts this year and I hate shopping, but funny enough, I love smoking.

I treated this pretty much the same way as back bacon (Canadian bacon).

For me this a test-run of dry cured pork tenderloin to see if I'd enjoy it before doing up a larger batch and giving it away to people without even trying it.

Day #1 (Prep day):

Yanked a pack of two pork tenderloins out of the freezer, weighed in at close to a pound each (one a few grams over, one a few grams under), measured out the TQ and brown sugar and started the curing process. I gave these little guys 8 days.

Day #7:

Took them out of the fridge, rinsed in cold water and pat dried. Sliced one in half at the thickest point to check cure, looked good. Sliced off a piece for a salt fry-test. Tasted perfect!

Seasoned them up with forluvofsmoke's Hawg Heaven Rub, placed on smoker rack and into the fridge uncovered overnight to form pellicle.

Day #8 (Smoke day):

7:15: Woke up, flicked on the Big Chief. Made some coffee while the Big Chief warmed up. Checked the weather... -20*C!
icon_eek.gif

8:00: Dressed up for the arctic cold and put my cured tenderloins into the Big Chief with a 50/50 mix cherry and apple chips and set my probes up.  Big Chief at 60*F.

9:00: Big Chief - 93*F, IT - 72*F

10:00: BC - 97*F, IT - 82*F.... added some more chips, same mix. Big Chief temp seemed to max out here uninsulated, Since my Big Chief has no heat control (it's either on or off) I put on it's silver insulation parka.

11:00: BC - 120*F, IT - 91*F

12:00: BC - 151*F, IT - 108*F...added more chips, same mix, BC temp plummeted to 115*F after taking the hot smoldering chips out. Slowly made it's way back up.

13:00: BC - 151*F, IT - 111*F

14:00: BC - 147*F, IT - 129*F...out of apple chips, threw in the last of my cherry chips. Knowing the temps would plummet again, and I'm ready to bring the meat up to temp, I added 2 lit charcoal briquettes to the pan to combat that.

15:00: BC - 180*F, IT - 138*F

15:45: BC - 181*F, IT - 149*F....Done. Probed the others at 151*F and 150*F. Pull the rack out and set on the counter to cool down.

17:00: Put tenderloins on a plate, wrapped up and let rest in the fridge to mellow overnight.

Day #9:

Sliced up some tenderloin for a little snack with some crackers, left small pieces in a sandwich bag for more snacking later. Vac sealed the rest up and put in the freezer.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for sales on pork tenderloin, I'll be doing this again soon in a larger batch. Delicious!

Prep time

Fat and sliver skin trimmed

TQ weighed for each after trimming

Before anyone points it out, I did in fact use my good zip bags.

After 7 days..Cured to the center

Salt fry-test. Perfect!

Sent to Hawg Heaven

Time for some smoke

Post-smoke

Sliced pics

DB that is a great curing job perfect color,even though you screwed up the last pic LOL 11/22  just bustin Thanks for sharing

Richie

points.gif

Looks sweet. Great job.

Am I on your Christmas list?

Looks great! Nice job with the post. My Dad paid Big $$$ for these at a local Polish Deli back before I learned to cure and smoke Pork...JJ

Nice Job Duke!!
icon14.gif

Those look Mighty Tasty!!
drool.gif
------------------
points.gif

I never cured Tenderloins---Only Loins!!---Got 13 pounds in cure right now.

Those look so good, you might not want to give them away----Maybe do some CB to give away???

Bear

Looks great! Nice job with the post. My Dad paid Big $$$ for these at a local Polish Deli back before I learned to cure and smoke Pork...JJ
Thanks JJ!

Nice Job Duke!!
icon14.gif

Those look Mighty Tasty!!
drool.gif
------------------
points.gif

I never cured Tenderloins---Only Loins!!---Got 13 pounds in cure right now.

Those look so good, you might not want to give them away----Maybe do some CB to give away???

Bear
Thanks Bear! Appreciate the point!

I think you should give this one a try. If you don't like it, you can always give it to me
biggrin.gif

Looks awesome Duke ! Thumbs Up If I'm not mistaken you've kinda been on a bit of a role here the last while ! :beercheer:

DB that is a great curing job perfect color,even though you screwed up the last pic LOL 11/22  just bustin Thanks for sharing

Richie

points.gif
Thanks Richie! Appreciate it.

Well how about that, it's the 21st...
roflmao.gif

cheers.gif
Duke, don't feel bad...once upon a time, I posted an April Fools Day smoke on 03-31-11...
icon_redface.gif
...not one of my finer moments.

Looks sweet. Great job.

Am I on your Christmas list?
Thanks!

Since you didn't point out the wrong date on the packages, yes.
You guys crack me up!!!

Eric

Those truly look fine. Great color thru-out.I suppose I could do a pork Loin the same way right?

I saw at Sams Club yesterday they were really inexpensive for a huge Loin. Thanks for sharing your smoke. Looks like I will be going back to the store today..a good thing.

Those truly look fine. Great color thru-out.I suppose I could do a pork Loin the same way right?

I saw at Sams Club yesterday they were really inexpensive for a huge Loin. Thanks for sharing your smoke. Looks like I will be going back to the store today..a good thing.
I have done the pork loin the same way and it worked out OK. However I prefer the tenderloins as they have a softer bite (better texture) were the loin tends to be dryer and a bit tougher. I recently made some whole meat jerky from the pork loin and it is a good change from whole meat beef jerky. Might want to try it out on the pork loin.

I cured this the same way as I've done pork loin for canadian bacon, just seasoned differently and took to a higher IT because it will be eaten cold.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky