dry cured bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013
Central Pa
I picked up a slab of belly for 3.79 a lb.   Put it in a cure by following Digging Dogs cure calculator.

Let it cure for 14 days.   It pulled very little water out of the meat and by day 5 the meat had sucked it all back in. 

After 14 days I rinsed the meat then into the fridge for 5 days to dry nice.

No pics of the curing.   All they were was meat in a zip loc bag.

Cold smoked for 12 hours.  

First 6 was Pitmasters blend.

Next 6 was corn cob.

Used the expandable tub

Then  into the fridge for another 7 days.

Sliced up last night.

Ended up with some nice end pieces for other dishes.

Kept one 2 lb chunk to dice up for sausage I think.

Blt's for supper tonight.

That there is some good looking bacon, Adam!!

You scored a really nice piece of belly!

Perfect mix of meat & fat!

Bet it fries up really good!

icon14.gif

Al.

Adam that looks great,I love the cob smoke very smooth.I owe you a point,used all mine up for today 

Richie

Very Nice looking Bacon, Adam!!
drool.gif
---------------
points.gif

I usually don't have any of those "End Pieces" left for "Other Dishes", because they're so good for snacking!!!
drool.gif

Bet those BLTs are gonna be Awesome!!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Bear

Thanks everyone.

How do you like the flavor ???    Sure looks good to me.....

Haven't tried it yet. Tonight I will for sure.

I will report back

Looks great. You are one patient man!...JJ

You will see that your patience paid off. Both pellets you chose work well with bellies, now you can choose which you like better.
huh.gif

icon_biggrin.gif
 Good job. Point

The blt's.

Fried up the bacon.

Toast with some new mayo we tried.

Lots of bacon.

A bit of green stuff.

Some red stuff.

Served with some baked fries.

This bacon is very good. Well worth extra time and effort. I need to up the salt a little next time thou.

Ya knocked it outta the park Adam, very nice ! That is some damn tasty lookin bacon man ! Thumbs Up :drool

:beercheer:

The blt's.

Fried up the bacon.

This bacon is very good. Well worth extra time and effort. I need to up the salt a little next time thou.
That's easy....    up the salt by 1/4% or  1/2% until you get the perfect taste to your liking...   You can do different salt % on different hunks, and do a taste test....

Reactions: worktogthr
The BLT looks great. I try to squeeze a half pound per sandwich. BTW, have you ever had Washington Boro (Lanc.Co) Tomatoes? I don't know if it's the River water or Chem runoff from Columbia factories but they are Famous in Lanc. and York County and have an amazing sweet flavor...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky