Dry Box Cured Bacon With Q View!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

navionjim

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 16, 2007
Houston Texas
I went by my local Carneacia on Saturday and asked in my broken Spanish if they had any pork bellies. They use them to make cicerones or “pork rinds†to you Yankees and “cracklins†to you Southern boys. If youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve never had hot fresh Mexican fried pork fat with hot sauce, youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re really missing out!

Any way it was pretty funny as the butcher had to lift an 80 pound case of four pork bellies over his head and smash it on the tile floor several times to break one lose from the solidly frozen block of meat. I ended up with a 22 pound belly that took 24 hours to thaw out.

This batch deviates slightly from my recently published diatribe on making bacon in difference to Rytec Kutasâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s instructions in his book. I left the skin on the bellies this time, I hope it proves easier to remove once the meat is cured and smoked!
I trimmed the belly and rubbed it with my previously posted dry cure, then “hammered†them into the curing box to remove any air pockets between the layers. Per the “Sausage Maker†book, the bellies were placed meat side to meat side with the skin on the top and the bottom. The box Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m using is a food grade plastic ice container from an airline galley cart that I normally reserve for making corned beef briskets. Once I had everything in the box, I covered it with plastic bags and a metal rack, then weighted it down with a gallon jug and stuck it in my fridge.

I plan to use my standard methods from here on out with the “wash†being of the honey variant I previously posted. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m going to smoke with hickory and pecan for an American style bacon, but Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m still going to do my regular dip and dry step prior to smoking the bacon. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll overhaul the bellies in a few days and hope to be ale to dip, dry and smoke sometime next week. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll post more pictures for yâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]all later!

Jimbo
5977022d_vbattach16749.jpg

0e868ead_vbattach16748.jpg

cb9273f2_vbattach16747.jpg

7f017c8a_vbattach16746.jpg

9e2ed88b_vbattach16745.jpg

What a great project! You're so lucky to have a local carneceria, and your right about the fresh fried chicharone with hot sauce. I'm looking forward to more pics!

The oxydizer of choice? And that was NOT a "diatribe". If you so insist, I must respectfully disagree.

BTW oops parallel wound so that was one prob.

IMO it is easier......I always leave the skin on. I smoke it then chill it then cut it into sizes that I can lay in my slicer with the skin side facing the blade. Push it flat and run it once across the blade and the skin usually comes off in one piece. The skin is usually firm enough that once the blade gets between the meat and the skin is just holds on to that spot and the skin comes off easily.

If you aren't running it through a slicer, it is still easier with a knife IMO. Also, I noticed no difference in the final product in waiting until the end to remove the skin.

wow.........a 22 lb belly.........at my local mex grocery i can only get em 4-5lb...........

kewl, bout keep the skin on..........i was sweating that step, when i thaw out my belly...........i think i will wait till you are completely done, THEN ask for instructions.......hehehhe

besides, at the moment my plate is full........brining a loin for c bacon for superbowl sunday..........and then a practice run on making summer sausage........

so i sit on the edge of my seat, waiting for your endevor to be completed

Fatback Joe;150508 said:
IMO it is easier......I always leave the skin on. I smoke it then chill it then cut it into sizes that I can lay in my slicer with the skin side facing the blade. Push it flat and run it once across the blade and the skin usually comes off in one piece. The skin is usually firm enough that once the blade gets between the meat and the skin is just holds on to that spot and the skin comes off easily.

Cool and thanks! I hope you heard that Walkin Dude. I've always tried to trim it off all before, like you do for making panchetta. That's a royal pain in the *** to do. I do have a small slicer, even if it's a POS. It took me a while to figure out I didn't need to trim my briskets too, well except for making corned beef that is. Nice when the easy was turns out to be the best way.

i trim because i need the fat for sausages..........thats nother thing i can't find round here.........all the grocery stores get there meat in boxes........no more of the carcass trimming..............

yeah.......for pancetti, my next project, i will need to trim the skin off

now........what to do with the skin after trimming?

HAHAHAHAHAHAH.............good one...........but that would be more along the line of TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE!!!!!!!!

Hannibal's was made outta leather.......

Yeah.........either way the kids get a kick out of it.........my wife jsut said "make sure you put your disgusting *** in the shower when you are done"

Right you are Steve and this is Texas after all.. But If I were to do anything with the skin it would be to make chicaronies just like they do at the Carneacia. Cracklins would be the Souther edition of that and you need to check out this guys site for how to do it. While your there have a look around because Jr. has some good stuff here on the Delta Blues and general stuff of interest about this area. Caution that some of this aint for kids.

http://www.deltablues.net/cracklin.html

i have that site bookmarked from google searching........but the skin they are using, has meat on it..........i am hoping to remove the skin withOUT any meat on it.........i know you can't do it perfect............but i don't want meat left on like they are talking bout

WD a cracklings ain't cracklings if a-little meat ain't left on them-ya i love the blues site also. My lady is a cajun,born & raised we got a pit out back to make them,no mex kind holds a stick to these.her cajun & me southwest cooking,we make some pretty spicy eats!!

we cut the fat off with a little meat first-meat goes to smoke and fat for the pot,so ya if u not gonna make cracklings you gonna throw away

with this belly, i plan on making bacon........so i don't want to take much meat off...........this is NOT the thickest belly i have ever seen.........

i guess i need to wait till i get ready to do the bacon.........after Jim is done..........sorry for the highjack Jim...........then thaw........take pics.....and THEN ask questions

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky