Drum Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swamprb

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Bothell WA
After fighting my Silver Smoker on Saturday, I needed to relax and do some Q'n on the Drum. It's a 38" tall steel barrell with two 22.5" cooking grates, most of the time I only use one grate but today I loaded it up with two 8lb butts and then a few hours later laid down 4 baby back racks and let them smoke a bit then finished them in the rib rack. This baby cruised between 225*-250* for over 9 hours so I foiled my butts and perched 3 chickens for a few more hours. Over 13 hours and still hovering at 220*
What a difference a day makes!
Hope you like the pics!
1b22d2cc_vbattach12011.jpg

bf8a14a2_vbattach12010.jpg

fce48fb7_vbattach12009.jpg

e7dec3a2_vbattach12008.jpg

3477ef14_vbattach12007.jpg

Newbie Question on barrel smokers, did you have to add more fuel for the fire ore was one basket enough. IF you do have to add how the heck do you do it. How is the heat and smoke pulled through the barrel. Sorry if these seem childish. :)

Tell me about the base the barrel is setting on and the probe? coming out of the bottom of the barrel. I'm thinking about making one and the base is something I haven't quite made my mind up on yet.

Looks like some great food that it turned out and that just makes me want one even more
icon_redface.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

MCOutlaw-I've never had to add charcoal, but I do have a rod that I use to give the charcoal basket a shake to drop some ash. My coals have always outlasted anything I've cooked.

cajunsmoker-The base is a steel 4 wheel drum dolly, from Harbor Freight, It is not attatched to the drum. The probes I think you are refferring to on the bottom of the drum are the air intake plugs (1/2" electrical box plugs or bungs)
I have drilled a hole in each one and ran a 2" bolt with a nut on each side of the plug so I have a little handle to R&R the plug when needed.

Is this drum a BDS or home built? I'm really interested in a BDS.
If I smoked that much meat in a day I'd have to have the whole neighborhood over to get it eaten up. Not that they would mind.

This is homemade, only because I'm cheap and handy with a drill.

If you are interested in a BDS you should contact them, you will not be disappointed. These things are virtually hassle free and the results are fantastic.

I've only done small briskets and corned beef, I should have done the packer on the drum (woulda, coulda, shoulda) instead of the Silver Smoker, but yeah the smoke rings are for real, you will be amazed!
c6305052_vbattach12025.jpg

4b87eb6b_vbattach12024.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky