Drum , drum drum drum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gorillagrilla

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
San Fransisco bay area
biggrin.gif
Put together my U.D.S. today . thanks to all the great tutorials by Bbq Bubba and others on this great forum. And yeah , its ugly ! Nother coat of paint wont hurt.

tried something a little different . call it the ' core method ' !
biggrin.gif

whole thing lifts out for ease of cleaning e.t.c.

I kmow , ugly basket too ! it is suspemded on the rod

ready to season !

so far so good ! holdim temps !

Grilla you did a nice job. Looks won't make it cook any better. Basket looks cool.

I've seen that used somewhere else as well....but, still nice work!!

intakes are all 3/4 . Did notice ran best with one cap removed and ball valve all the way open, and I know you guys regulate w/ just the valve , so should I bump em up in size or are you refering just to the valve? thanx
PDT_Armataz_01_26.gif
!

My intakes are 3/4 inch ball valves. Works fine. I always have to choke mine down to keep the temperature at or around 225. I've noticed that the Royal Oak lump (green bag) burns a bit hotter.

Is that 225 in the center or on the side? If you measure center, is that done with a bare probe, or is it stuck in a tater? Just curious as I have the same question as the OP

Dead center grate level. I use a long "turkey frying probe" and I use a digital remote that is a dual read. One read is meat temp and the other read is external temp. I always keep that dual read with in 5" of center somewhere. The difference between the two thermometers is usually within 3 degrees.

Bare probes on all non-meat temps.

** I'll snap off some pics of my thermometers and post in a bit**

Here's the thermometers I use. The turkey frying probe really surprised me. It was a cheap one from Menards and is accurate within 1 degree on the boiling water test.

The dual read I've had for about 5 years now. The only thing you have to watch with a dual read is that if you get the outside temp part too close to the meat, the temp will be down a bit. I use it mostly to just cross check my other other thermometer(s).

I do have one of those other remote ones that has a two probes but I haven't used it yet. Too set in my ways on these here.

Clickable thumbs

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m277/cpaulsb/My BBQ and Cooking Pics/P7140063.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky