Dried Venison Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goat

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 27, 2005
Uvalde, TX
Yesterday I made 80 lbs of dried venison sausage. It is hung in the smokehouse for 24 hours of smoke and then will remain there until dry. Pics are sausage hanging, beginning the smoke, and this morning after 12 hours of smoke.
229e290d_vbattach16231.jpg

554ab97d_vbattach16229.jpg

ef8ac6a2_vbattach16230.jpg

Nice!! How long do you think it'll take to dry...Here's another question...most of us here only have smokers, not a smoke house, do you watch the temp inside of it? Do you use sticks or charcoal and sticks?

Great looking adventure you got going on. I make much smaller quantities and low and slow smoke it in my Bradley Original Smoker. Looks awesome.

Thanks Shell. If the humidity and temp stay like it is now, about 5 to 6 days. This is a cold smoke and I do not monitor the temperature inside the smokehouse. I usually burn down a few small pieces to get a bed of coals and then place a good sized piece of oak on the coals to smolder.

Thanks Hillbilly, I try to make one batch a year and vac seal it. It keeps very well. You always have friends when you have a piece of that dry sausage in your pocket.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky