Dried Cold Smoked Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Might as well do a dried smoky stick while im stuck up here.

Please read all you can about dry cure and cold smoking sausage before attempting this style of charcuterie.

This recipe uses cure #2

Mustard seed and red pepper flakes.

Cure 2 and the dry mixed with 1/2 cup cold water.

All mixed and ready for stuffing

Stuffed

Hickory pucks, cold smoke only no water in the pan.

Getting some hickory smoke. After 5 hours of cold smoke these will hang for 5-7 days. They will darken while hanging.

Reactions: disco
Looking great. U r the sausage man
yeahthat.gif

Those are looking great. Just curious, did you ever try this with kabanosy? I noticed the older my kabanosy sticks got the more I liked them.

Those are looking great. Just curious, did you ever try this with kabanosy? I noticed the older my kabanosy sticks got the more I liked them.
Yes

Look at some of my past posts on dried Kab

Where and what temp do they need to hang at? Those look pretty darn good.
These are cure #2 sticks cold smoked at 60* The dry hang was done in my pantry shelf room temps from 60- 67*

So in theory, with cure #2 and the proper amount of time for the cure to do it's thing, they should now be "shelf stable" at room temp, correct?

So in theory, with cure #2 and the proper amount of time for the cure to do it's thing, they should now be "shelf stable" at room temp, correct?
In theory yes. However some dry cure require fermentation and a humidity level. Most cure #2 items are shelf stable.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky