Double Smoked Ham, The Star of Canadian Thanksgiving

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Last weekend was Canadian Thanksgiving. We went nontraditional and had a double smoked ham. This is one of the first thing I made when I first found this forum and I would really like to thank Bearcarver for his step by step:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/141903/double-smoked-hams-times-4-step-by-step

They had butt portions on sale for a reasonable price leading up to Thanksgiving.

I cut a diamond pattern 1/4 inch thick on the skin side.

I put it in the smoker at 190 F over apple smoke at 9 am.

At 3 pm I turned the temperature up to 210 F, and at 4:30 PM the internal temperature was 132 F

I took the ham out of the smoker and brushed a glaze over it.

The glaze is my own Passing Wind Estate Maple Glaze:

Maple Glaze

3/8 cup maple syrup

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon packed brown sugar

4 teaspoons ketchup

1/2 tablespoon cider vinegar

1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce

1 clove garlic finely chopped

1 1/2 teaspoon Dijon

1/4 teaspoon salt

Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes. May be stored for a couple of weeks in refrigerator.

I put it back in the smoker for 1/2 hour. I then gave it another layer of glaze and back in the smoker for another 1/2 hour.

I took it out, let it rest for 15 minutes under foil and carved and served it with Scalloped Potatoes, cucumbers in seasoned yogurt and coleslaw. For dessert, pumpkin squares. Everyone really enjoyed it.

Double smoked hams have become a special occasion meal around here. Thanks, Bear.

Here is a video I made of the smoke.

Disco

That looks great. Bear has some great step by steps.

What, NO rolls?????

Inside family joke, my Great Aunt Grace, was in shock when she attended Thanksgiving at our house. My mom had made ham, turkey all the fixings and homemade bread in our wood cook stove. But we had no rolls. Aunt Grace, went on a good thirty minute rant about there being no rolls! So whenever I see thanksgiving photos without rolls I think about that! I think I was 6 or 7.

Fantastic looking ham Disco! Looks like a great meal! I can only imagine how good that ham would be on a roll with some good mustard!

Last edited:
What, NO rolls?????

Inside family joke, my Great Aunt Grace, was in shock when she attended Thanksgiving at our house. My mom had made ham, turkey all the fixings and homemade bread in our wood cook stove. But we had no rolls. Aunt Grace, went on a good thirty minute rant about there being no rolls! So whenever I see thanksgiving photos without rolls I think about that! I think I was 6 or 7.

Fantastic looking ham Disco! Looks like a great meal! I can only imagine how good that ham would be on a roll with some good mustard!
Actually there were rolls and we have our own joke about it. My wife and I like whole wheat bread and rolls. My buddy likes white bread. So, whenever he comes over the joke is the rolls are sooooo white.

It is sadly all gone which speaks to how good it was. The best was a big thick slice fried for breakfast.

Thanks for the comments, Case.

Disco

Nice looking Double Smoked Ham ya got there, Disco!!!
drool.gif
drool.gif

Great Video too!!!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

You're one of the very few Movie Stars I know!!

Thanks for the Shout-out too !!

Bear

Great job. Really great video. I have a ham in the freezer. You've convinced me....double smoked it will be.
You won't be sorry. I suggest you check out Bear's post too. 

Great job Disco.....looked delicious. And a cool vid to boot....love the Passing Winds videos.....Willie
Thanks, Chef. My buddy and I have a riot doing the videos.

Nice looking Double Smoked Ham ya got there, Disco!!!
drool.gif
drool.gif

Great Video too!!!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

You're one of the very few Movie Stars I know!!

Thanks for the Shout-out too !!

Bear
Thanks, Bear. 

The award for best recipe used in a Youtube video goes to ... Bearcarver!

Delicious looking ham and nice vid!
Thanks, CM. You have to love this forum. On it I have learned about:
  • Double smoked ham
  • ABT's
  • Fatties
  • WSM Mini
  • and so many projects I can't list them all.
Double smoked ham has become a special occasion meal thanks to people like Bearcarver.

Disco

Nice looking I just made the glaze it didn't make much do you double the quantity?
It wasn't a large ham we made and I am trying to practice girth control. If you like a heavy glaze, double it up and slather it on!

Disco

Thank you I think I'm going to try your double smoked ham with the glaze for Thanksgiving.
Great! I hope you like it.

I'd love to hear how it turns out!

A post with pictures of your version is always welcome on the forums!

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky