Don't worry, guys. I'm from Kansas City.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

peebee

Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Corpus Christi, TX
That's right, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm from Kansas City, otherwise known as Cow Town. While some may say this is paying homage to the fine ladies you see walking the streets of Independence Avenue, truth be told, back in the 1800s this is where many a cow laid down its life in the name of delicious steak, ribs, and brisket.

kcstock1.jpg

This is the Kansas City stockyards, circa 1904. For 80 years, from 1871 until 1951, cattle from all across these great plains were rounded up, stuffed into cattle cars, and via locomotive shipped right into the West Bottoms of our fair town. We saw so many cattle, the American Hereford Association decided to hold an annual judging competition in a tent in these very stock yards. That tradition continues today, and is otherwise known as the American Royal. Since 1979, the American Royal BBQ has been one of the premier BBQ competitions.

If you're from Kansas City, you know BBQ.

In fact, BBQ tradition and culture is so ingrained into your being, like me, you've probably been turned away at the Blood Bank. My first thought--hell, everyone's first thought is, "Is it because of the hepatitis?"

The man in the white uniform said, "No, sir. It's just that we need blood. Type O Positive would have been great, but sir... I'm afraid that you have Liquid Smoke coursing through your veins."

Very interesting introduction, and I welcome you to the SMF. I'll be looking forward to your next smoke. It's all good my friend.

Welcome PeeBee.
I sure do envy the product a lot of you have access to.
Fresh briskets from a guy who lives down the street, slabs of ribs that didn't come into the store frozen, a chicken who only hours ago was hanging out talking to his friends about what a great life they have, free land and food and nothing to worry about and then! A tasty smoky meal. Living in Jersey there are only a handful of places in my general driving area that actually offer good fresh meats.
I know and have smoked some great Q but...well enough rambling, you lucky folks know how lucky you are to have fresh access.
Happy smokes, looking forward to some nice Qviews.

Welcome! And ditto to ^^^^^. Rural Wyoming isn't the place to be for a good supply of the fresh stuff either.

Enjoy the forum, PeeBee!

Eric

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing some Qview of some of that great fresh beef.

Welcome PeeBee from another KC area smoker. I look forward to your input, as well as some awesome qview. Remember, since you are from Kansas City, the bar is, by default, pretty darned high!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky