D'oh!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hacksaw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Little River, SC
OK, I did it again, there I was in Costco, lookin' at all that yummy meat...Mmm meat. Anyway, I picked up a package with 2 small tri-tips in it, about 4#'s each.
WTF do I do with them? Do I smoke them like a brisket? How much time should I allot? 4,6,8 hours? What temp should I be shooting for? Will Lassie ever find Timmy in the ditch?
I got a lot of questions...thank god for bourbon.

Thanks all

Funny Hack! Wish I could help ya, never did a tri-tip before. Someone will surely come long soon to help!

Personally I grill mine around 350 with a few chunks of hickory off to the side for smoke. Great cut and they always come out scrumptous! Never tried slow cooking one yet.

Glad I could amuse you! Maybe I'll just cruise to Wally World and pick up a Boston Butt as insurance and study up on this tri-tip stuff...

Nobody else in this august group has any input????
PDT_Armataz_01_15.gif

I haven't done one but think I'd probally marinade it in either MoJo or Allegro overnight then inject it before putting it on to try to help keep it moist then smoke to about 140* foil and wrap in a towel and let it sit about an hour in a dry cooler then slice it

Hack, i use a cheap CB H2O smoker w/ water bowl. Put tri tip up high and basically smoke it/grill it. At 225 it takes a while but the smoke is worth the wait. Keep a good eye on it. Basically you are grilling in the smoker. Sure to get some laughs but it works. Marinade in your fav liquid. Good luck.

Great minds must think alike! I put 'em in a marinade about 1 hout ago...I was planning on using light smoke and pulling for a rest @135...Stay tuned, may even provide some Q-view if I can remember the stinkin' camera this time.

That is great, Hack. I have been known to look at meat in cost co I no idea how to smoke but buy it anyway! Glad you have it going now.
biggrin.gif

OMFG!!! I have found the holy grail of beef!!!!!!!! I confess I have not done a brisket yet, but this was heavenly!
I cooked with smoke for nearly 2 hours, pulled when the temp hit 135, foiled and rested for 30 minutes. When sliced it was a PERFECT medium rare with a spectacular beef flavor, yeah, it was tender too.
Spousal unit declares it better than my ribs and pork butt! I was thinkin' it would be smoking awesome as fajita's or Sammy's.
Do yourself a favor get some tri-tip NOW!!!!! It's idiot proof and delicious!
IF my card hadn't been full I would have had some Q-view to make you all drool. I only have the "before" pics, I may post those just to prove tghat I am not lyin'....No kidding, go get some!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky