dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

salmonclubber

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 3, 2005
forks washington
Hello everyone

last Sunday i tried to do some hotdogs using Len Poli's recipe for hotdogs i poached them to cook them and was not very happy with the result the fat melted out of them and they became crumbly
today I tried them again and cooked them in my smoker and they turned out a lot better they are a much nicer looking dog and they taste better i also did a batch of polish dogs using Rytek's recipe for polish sausage they are also great tasting dogs
i used cellulose casings and 70/30 beef and pork mix i used hickory for smoke and the temps where 120 for 1 hour then i added a pan of chips 120 for another hour then up to 140 for an hour then up to 160 for an hour then up to 175 where i finished them when the dogs reached 152 i pulled them and give them a cold water bath and removed the casings

here are some pics

uncooked dogs
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f45/salmonclubber/?action=view&current=101_0088.jpg

hotdogs
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f45/salmonclubber/?action=view&current=101_0089.jpg

polish dogs
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f45/salmonclubber/?action=view&current=101_0090.jpg

Huey, they look excellent! Thank you for the details of your smoke. I have so many of your recipes saved to try I'm going to add these to the list too. lol
Thank you!!

Those look great clubber!
I was always under the impression that you had to hold a lower temp but if I was mistaken then I am moving dogs up to the top of the to-do list.
Do you just reheat them like you would a regular dog?
You live close enough to where I can "drop by" during your next smoke?

Nevermind, Washington huh? A bit of a drive from Jersey, well at least thanks for the beautiful Qview.

Yes sir, you did it up right! Nice smoke my friend.

thanks guys they taste pretty good i think i like the polish dogs better i just heated them up in a pot of boiling water they were great

Those do look good. I have not done hot dogs, but this is an inspiration. Thanks for the pics!

I dislike store dogs-and have had other-tis time to do my own.

They sure look good. Are they an emulsified dog? I used Ryteks frankfurter recipe for the last batch I did, and just ground to 3/16. Taste was good, but texture not what you would think of for a hot dog.

mule

they are not emulsified i just ground them with my small plate 5 mm its not the same texture as store bought dogs but they do taste good

I was reading just yesterday in that book on Polish Sausages by Stan Marianski that you can emulsify using a food processor after adding some water to your mix, but I'd say its only practical for small batches, say 5lbs or less. Apparently closer in texture to store bought that way.

Yes you can. As you said, I would only do it in small batches. I tackled making Mortadella once. Stuffed into a beef bung, it weighed 6-7 lbs. That wasn't too bad doing several batches in the food processor. Next, I made all beef hot dogs, but did 20 + lbs. It was a major pain and took forever. Just as I was finishing, my food processor died on me. I thought I had burnt it up, but after cooling off, it worked fine again. Emulsifying this way is a messy process and you have to keep everything really cold or the emulsion will break and your dogs will have a nasty texture. The dogs were very good, but I don't know if they were worth the trouble.

Good to know - I was thinking of making either some dogs or balogna, my wife won't eat either from the store, but my processer is old and probably couldn't take it.

BTW, small retraction, it was Rytek's book, not the Polish Sausages book that had the paragraph on using the food processer. Ewps!

they all look great !!!! i recently inherited a small 20lb electric sausage smokehouse , meat grinder & sausage stuffer from my grandpa . i'm in the process of planning out some sausage/dog/snack stick endeavors. Any suggestions and/or tips?? I've got a book he gave me w/ over 500 recipes from everything from fresh polish to blood sausage & authentic chorizo.

i beleive it's this one .....
71200-1.jpg

but my copy was printed in 1984 i think , so i could be wrong.have'nt even completed reading it yet , but ig seems to go into about everything. building smokers,sausage,game,processed meats(bologna,salami etc) , corning , brining & on and on and on.

My grandpa was known to go "All out or none at all" .... lol, so it does'nt surprise me that it'd be the sausage " bible" . and i cant wait to give her a whirl.home now & mine is just the "revised edition" , so im assuming that means the 1st revision , so it must be the gospel if they've made 3 more revisions since the 80's & it is still around.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky