Dog bones

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

campfire218

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 9, 2016
We ordered a side of beef this year. The ribs they packaged are really too skinny to do anything with (except make broth out of) so I thought I'd use them as dog treats. Is there a process I need to follow? Dry them, cold smoke, etc? Hesitant to feed them raw because I don't want remnants left on the floor and furniture.

Attachments

• 16041522255644948334731744937408.jpg
    16041522255644948334731744937408.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: JLeonard
interested in seeing responses you get, possibly getting a beef this year also

Ryan

Do some research to satisfy yourself of the risks involving dogs and bones. All dogs are different and have different habits, but I only gave my dogs raw round, or long bones. Cooked bones don't have the nutrition a raw bone has, and cooked bones tend to splinter more often.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
^^^^^^This is my understanding as well. Look into it more, but I would think, just Refer Dry them to limit meat scrap/juices getting on furniture. My boys have gotten aCooked Beef Rib and Steak Bones, but we watch and take them away after the meat is removed...JJ

Beef bone broth, period.
Roast them at 450 until they are dark brown, plop them in a pot with onions, garlic and celery and slowly simmer for 24 hours.

Not a fan of giving our dogs bones. To many unforseen things could happen if not watching " constantly ". The huge knuckle bones maybe aren't quite as bad for splinters that can be swallowed and cause internal damage. Just our personal decision.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky