Does smoked butter need to mellow?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Beanhall

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 23, 2017
Salina, KS
I cold smoked some butter the other day. I went ahead and vac sealed it to let it mellow like cheese. My question is do I need to let it mellow or is it good to go?

I find that butter generally doesn't need to mellow much, a week or so is all I leave mine. I save the paper wrappers off the butter cubes so I can rewrap each cube then put the cubes back in there box and place the box in the freezer until we need another cube.

Thanks for the quick response. That is a great idea to keep the wrappers, I will definitely do that next time. I will wait a few more days and give it a try.

I figured I could use it on bagels, breads, vegetables or on a steak.

I've never had a strong smoke flavored butter, the wife and I can definitely taste the smoke when using the butter on toast, baked potato and the like but when used in a recipe or with a lot of other ingredients the smoke flavor is lost.

If you smoking butter and cheese you might as well do some Kosher or sea salt as well. Nothing better on a baked potato then a little smoked butter and a sprinkle of smoked salt. For salt I use the Costco 2 lbs sea salt, spread it out on a couple paper plates and set it on the top rack of the smoker. Stir it around a couple times while smoking the cheese and or butter. Put it back in it's bottle and let it set a couple days then salt away.

Last fall I did about 5 pounds of butter which lasted until August, after we ran out wife informed me that we were not to run out of smoked butter again so I have 10 pounds smoked and will probably do another 5 pounds just to be safe as I don't want to get beat with the phone book if I run out.

I like the sound of it on potatoes and I should have thought of the steak. Not sure about the bread. Thats what's so great about this hobby. Everyone has their own individual taste. I've smoked malt before for home brewing smoked porter and had people look at me funny. To each his or her own. Seriously recommend a smoked porter with a nice smoked and reverse seared ribeye. Might have to smoke some butter to put on it.

I smoked sea salt when I did the butter. The salt I smoked for 12hrs. It turned out amazing.
20180108_115650.jpg

Reactions: bill ace 350
I use smoked butter on cajun shrimp & grits.
I actually smoke mine on the wrappers so I can get them wrapped right & back in the box. It only smokes is on 5 sides, but I can live with that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky