Does brining Require Refrigeration?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alphabandaid

Original poster
Mar 21, 2016
Out of habit my game birds have been refrigerated while brining in salt water after cleaning. Usually consumption or freezing to follow of course. Is refrigeration necessary while brining? I may have a significant quantity to brine and frig space is limited. 

Thanks

Yes you need to keep the meat at safe temps. If you need clean out acooler and use ice to stay in a safe temp range.

Reactions: grillard
If you have a large number of birds what we do at the camp is this:

We have two plastic trash cans. A large one and a smaller that fits inside the larger one. We put a layer of ice down in the large can and then put the smaller can inside, bottom on the ice. We put another layer of ice in the smaller can. Then we put a 5 gallon food grade bucket with the brine and birds in the smaller can. Then we fill the whole mess with ice and put the lid on the big can. If it's in a shady place the temp will stay below 40 in the can, just don't open it until you're ready too get the birds out. This works really good for an overnight brine when you don't have frig space or electricity and the temps are cooler.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky