Does anyone mop a turkey???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bonedadddy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Raymore, MO
Quick question...I am smoking one of the turkeys we are having for the big day tomorrow, and am about 1 1/2 hours into the smoke...my question (and I just totally spaced this off) do you use a mop for Turkey?

After brining for 24 hours (Used Tip's Slaughterhouse....Yummy!!!!!!) I applied olive oil to the bird...and rubbed with a Tuscan rub, based on Kosher Salt, Rosemary, Oregano, Sage, Garlic Powder and Black Pepper...I stuffed the cavity with an orange, grapefruit and lemon...one lemon went in the neck cavity too...

But never thought about the mop...so help me out guys, To Spritz or not To Spritz :-)

Thanks,

ps- I will post pics when all is said and done :-)

Awesome...that is what I was thinking too! Just need to run to the store, as my daughter drank the last of the apple juice last night...

Thanks

Kinda hard to spritz when it's submereged in 375° oil LOL.

Yes you can spray while in the smoker.

orange juice and rum is another good one.

Hahahha...that is great! I think I remember a thread on here a few years back where someone was going to Smoke the turkey for 2-3 hours and then finish in the Deep Fryer...or vice versa...cant remember!!!

But yes, I would imagine you wouldnt be happy with the spitting oil on your face after you spritzed...hehehehe

I chose to use a malt beverage called Jamaican Me Happy (yes, I know..foofy girly drink...but they are tasty)  mixed with a little apple juice...we will see how it turns out :-)

I wouldn't spritz unless you are opening the smoker for some other reason..... remember you add approx. 10-15 minutes to your cook time every time you open your smoker. So open it 4-6 times and you can add an hour. Spritzing itself doesn't hurt, but the recovery time when you open your smoker can.

icon_cool.gif

I personally don't mop but I do spritz from time to time. I thiink that the bird does alright with just a couple of spritzing. Mopping has lost it's luster I think.

Hahahha...that is great! I think I remember a thread on here a few years back where someone was going to Smoke the turkey for 2-3 hours and then finish in the Deep Fryer...or vice versa...cant remember!!!

But yes, I would imagine you wouldnt be happy with the spitting oil on your face after you spritzed...hehehehe

I chose to use a malt beverage called Jamaican Me Happy (yes, I know..foofy girly drink...but they are tasty)  mixed with a little apple juice...we will see how it turns out :-)
A few of us are doing just that tomorrow. smoke for 2 - 3 hours and then fry I won't buy oil for 2 birds so i'm doing mine in the big easy oil less fryer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky