• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Does anyone know the origin of the basic offset design?

bluewhisper

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 1, 2014
There are many brands and many versions, but does anyone know when/where/how the basic idea of having a firebox on the side of a barrel began?

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
I'm pretty certain it was way before we were born... From Wedliny-Domowe site...

Jehehmeyer

Joined Apr 27, 2019
There are many brands and many versions, but does anyone know when/where/how the basic idea of having a firebox on the side of a barrel began?
I remember as a kid in the 60’s that most of the smokehouses around my part of Missouri had the firebox adjacent to the smoke chamber. You didn’t lose heat going inside the building to add fuel. It’s the same with an offset smoker.

- Jim

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
I'm on my phone and can't figure out how to post a copied link, so do a search here on SMF for "History of the offset smoker." A thread has one answer that sounds feasible.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.