Do not forget your dog (pork treats for him)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

veener88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Northern IL
I am not sure if this is the right place but since it is pork I thought I would post it. When I got our hog from the local fair this year for the first time I asked for the skin and jowls and everything that I could get. If you have a dog you know how much natural treats are for your pet. So today I did my second time of making pig skins for my pup and I thought I would share what I did. You can do this with raw pig skins or even just the skin you pull off your bacon.

This is what I started off with just some raw skin:

10142006001.jpg

Then I took it to the cutting board and tryied to take off a much fat as I could.

10142006002.jpg

As you can see I have taken off a bit.

10142006003.jpg

Now it is all cleaned as much as I could.

10142006004.jpg

Now it is time to get it on the smoker. I just make then into little roles.

10152006001.jpg

As you can see there are a lot of them with a full hog

10152006002.jpg

This stuff smells good:

10152006003.jpg

And sounds good:

10152006004.jpg

After the cook a little I put them on their sides so the extra fat can drain out and that made some room for jowl and hocks that I wanted to try and make.

10152006006.jpg

I will let the go for a while till about the fat is gone.

10152006008.jpg

After they are on the smoker for about 6 hours I take them out and put them in the oven with a drain pan at 375 for a few hours till the little fat get so dry it is crisp and is all dried out.

Once you are done you will have a very happy dog.

If you are wondering at my local stores these treats are about 90 cents each so this saved me about $50 for treats for this run and my last was about 20 peices. I so have made about $70 in treats for a hog that cost about $280 buchered out. Kind of nuts I think just glad I asked for it.

SOOEEE-t! That's gonna be one spoiled pup!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky