Do Not Char Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

waysideranch

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2008
Kansas
Just heard a report we are all going to die. Consumer report says if you are searing and charring your meat cancer is just around the corner(HCA levels). Well we must die from something. Smoke on.

heck, several years ago, there was a report going around, that SMOKING MEAT, will give ya cancer........gotta die of summin, i do

I have beat quad bypass, diabetes, high blood pressure. I guess cancer is the pitch hitter. Bring on the smoke.

I think I read that if you marinade you cut the risk to almost zero.
Thay are talking about grilling. The teflon is another problem, well most non stick surfaces.

Don't drink the water, it is polluted, don't eat this er that cause it has sumtin in it er causes this er that, don't breath the air cause it's polluted, heck were all dead now, so I'm gonna keep right on doin it my way. Experts er only experts cause somebody listens to em.

its funny you mention this..... I.....I feel not so good..... I think I .....gurgle, gurlge....
eek.gif
wink.gif

The real killer we should watch out for is dihydrogen monoxide ... really dangerous stuff...

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) can cause:
  • Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
  • Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
  • Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
  • DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
  • Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
  • Contributes to soil erosion.
  • Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
  • Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
  • Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
What is DHMO? it's also known as H20, or water.

The Surgeon General is really worked up about 3-2-1 ribs smoked with Marlboro also !!!
Whatever..... I am not real hip about the 3.2 billion or whatever they spent on their "Charred Meat Testing" either.....

I wonder if that aplies to burnt weeny sandwiches? How about charred buns?

I know it's fun to make fun of this but there are some legitimate studies that back up the statement. Charring meat by using a high flame does create HCAs which are carcinogenic compounds.

These are not formed from low temperaure cooking as in smoking but high temperature grilling and searing.

I know it's common practice here to bash the FDA. They aren't a pefect organization (what is) but when you use what they say and couple it with a little common sense it does provide a level of food safety.

Cancer is nothing to make light of either.

honestly it would take a lot of char something to make up these hca compounds to actually do someting to you..i think if you basically burnt something 10 times a day and ate it do this plus 6-7 days a week at a couple of 10-20 years ..yea you may have a point ..but 1-2 a week everyother week or so i don't think anybodys in any trouble at the moment ...my $ .02

Okay, Okay...years ago before this forum was up and running it was said you would die from eating charcoal cooked food...BS...and they came out later and so said it was not true..now they come out with it again..there was a DR. on the news two weeks ago I guess that was takling about this. (FX nw) he kinda laughed and said something to the effect that if you were a lab rat and and was forced feed this stuff you would come to an early demise..

BUT,, there is an anttidote..and preventable vaccine

good martinis...great bourbon...savory scotch.. wicked demon rum..BUT beer on the other hand causes a more rapid onset of the dreaded eat your inerds out disease...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky