DIY wooden smoker tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jonathan Rousseau

Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
Hi, I'm currently planning to build my first wooden smoker. I have a few questions about it.

3ce0e20402.jpg

1. Some people told me I can't hot smoke in a wood smoker. Is this true? Is my smoker going to burn?

2. What type of wood should I use? Spinet is cheap here. Some people told me theirs in made of cedar.

3. Does stainless steel grids work? Else, what type of grids should I use?

4. According to my "plan", where should I put the water pan? What height from the elements?

Thank you for your help!

You're not going to need a water pan. Some folks on this site have lined the interior of their smokers with Hardi-board from Home Cheapo...you can also get aluminum or stainless steel sheet metal for a lining. And plywood will be fine to make the box but don't get a plywood that uses formaldehyde glue

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky