• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

DIY grills & smokers

Torc

Smoke Blower
Joined May 15, 2021
Having always been one to find ways around stretching my hobby allowance I keep an eye out for curbside goodies or ideas I can manage.

For fire cooking, I have a 3 rim grill with the grate from a recently acquired Char-broil Patio Bistro. Cost: $0

Landed a Brinkman vertical charcoal smoker for freeeee. Improved with grill felt and temp gauge. Cost $25

Had wanted to upgrade the Brinkman to electric for a while but hadn't found a good (or cheap) way to do it until I came across the patio bistro mentioned above.

Attachments

Torc

Smoke Blower
Joined May 15, 2021
Hmmm. So the max I can manage with the electric element is 262° and not hot enough to get the chips smoking without setting the foil pan directly on the element.

Last edited:

andrew lb

Joined Mar 6, 2014
Saving money is exactly why I built my UDS and put together my own PID controller and I have never been happier. The drum cost me like $30 from a cake factory and whatever the Weber grill cost. Aside from that, $30 for the inkbird PID and everything else I had on hand.
795EFDA7-D5D7-4BE4-9614-14C29ECE4D35.jpeg
oh, and $16 for gloss black brake caliper paint. normal bbq paint doesn’t last. that photo was 4 years after I painted it. It sits uncovered outside. (SoCal weather, so not harsh).

Young_Bourg

Joined Jul 22, 2021
Saving money is exactly why I built my UDS and put together my own PID controller and I have never been happier. The drum cost me like $30 from a cake factory and whatever the Weber grill cost. Aside from that, $30 for the inkbird PID and everything else I had on hand.
View attachment 497761
oh, and $16 for gloss black brake caliper paint. normal bbq paint doesn’t last. that photo was 4 years after I painted it. It sits uncovered outside. (SoCal weather, so not harsh).
How is the Inkbird PID? I am running a Smokintex1460 and find that the temp swings are pretty bad. I have heard the Auber is good, but I cannot get one and its like 3x the price of the Inkbird.

Nice rig btw!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.