Disneyland jumbo turkey legs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rings Я Us

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Southeast Michigan
Over 2 lbs each.
4 legs in a gallon of pops low sodium brine. Couple teaspoons each of granulated onion and garlic.

The legs displaced the brine and put it up to the 2 gallon mark after being weighted down. Should be in the brine a minimum of 1 day but these legs I will brine for 3 days.
I think they will go 1-2 hours on the Weber kettle with hickory chunks at about 325° or till 160° in center.
Should be a ham flavor and look when done.
IMG_20180706_193503.jpg
IMG_20180706_231236.jpg
IMG_20180707_001755.jpg
IMG_20180707_001759.jpg
IMG_20180707_001838.jpg
IMG_20180707_001853.jpg

Last edited:
I have done those several times before & they are amazing!
I bet yours are going to be fantastic too!
If this is the first time you have done them, then I bet it won't be the last!
BTW, for a 3 day brine I use 2 heaping TBS of cure#1 to 1 gallon of water, instead of 1.
Al

I have done those several times before & they are amazing!
I bet yours are going to be fantastic too!
If this is the first time you have done them, then I bet it won't be the last!
BTW, for a 3 day brine I use 2 heaping TBS of cure#1 to 1 gallon of water, instead of 1.
Al

I see most recipes use just like a cup of water per 2 legs in one bag for just 1 day. I figured 3-4 days in a regular brine would be ok. Will see. Tomorrow is day 4 and will be smoking them. Can't wait to see inside.

If you haven't had cured bird yet Johnny, be prepared to be amazed! I'll be back later with my Micky Mouse ears on.

Al

Al- Is that because a belief that double the amount of cure in the brine will work faster? I understand the uptake of nitrites... but isn't the penetration rate the same regardless? And I thought the maximum allowable PPM wasn't something to mess with even though its a shorter cure time?

If you haven't had cured bird yet Johnny, be prepared to be amazed! I'll be back later with my Micky Mouse ears on.

Al- Is that because a belief that double the amount of cure in the brine will work faster? I understand the uptake of nitrites... but isn't the penetration rate the same regardless? And I thought the maximum allowable PPM wasn't something to mess with even though its a shorter cure time?

Pops brine is almost 1/4 max strength. If you need to double it with the extra ppm, it's fine at double strength still. Just most of the time it's not necessary.

Right. Everything I've come to understand how cure works justifies in my mind why pops brine is so effective as it is. The longer cure time at the weaker concentration is still cured the same but deeper and more "thorough". I'm just not getting how a higher concentration of cure for a shorter amount of time would be any better. Just trying to learn something new here. And yes given still within USDA guidelines for PPM. Sorry if I've hijacked your thread. Looking forward to seeing your legs! :eek:

Nice legs Johnny! I just did some for the 4th and I smoked em to 180 IT. They were perfect! I can't wait to see your results!

Mike

You are allowed almost 5 TBS per gallon & still be within the USDA guidlines.
And yes it will cure faster with more cure in the brine.
With Pop's brine at 1 TBS per gallon, it takes longer, but accomplishes the same thing.
Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but a question was asked of me.
Sorry Johnny!
Al

I really like the subtle use of cure in Pop's. I don't want turkey bacon... I sleep better injecting cure/brines and would do that for those legs. DaveOmak pointed out to me that sugar takes much longer to reach into the meat than salt or cure so injection helps with that too.

Never been to DL but cured smoked turkey is probably my favorite of all and great call on the low salt Pop's. What's your skin strategy? High temp? I'd rinse, overnight uncovered rest pellicle.

I needed filler material till later today when I get those legs finished. :D

Turkey doesn't stay fresh for long. Probably best to get it done faster than not.

Couple people at work wanted to try these..
Can't wait!

Looks great Rings, I'd enjoy one - well worth the wait.

Point for sure.

Chris

LIKE. Any pointers on scoring the legs? I don't find them anywhere. What is weird though, is I can actually find them already smoked quite cheap like $.69/lb but they don't really smell appealing to me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky