Disney Style (Cured) Chicken Legs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am also curious where Disney comes into play
Cured smoked turkey legs are the top or closed to top selling food at Disney. These look great. I’ll have to try it with chicken, I’ve done turkey and they were awesome. People devoured them. I love that rack too. Going to order one tonight!

After many years of eating turkey .. discovered I don't like turkey. I do love chicken.
Chicken legs pretty cheap meat.
There should be a glut of turkey legs on the market with all the local festivals, county fairs, and concerts being canceled this year?
JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 BandCollector BandCollector asked the questions
The cure is high (no extremely high) to the amount of water, # of meat, and time.
What is the equalization time?

Personally I wouldn't use the cure, really no need for it.
Okay, so you're just fine with Brined poultry, brining it has it's benefits and makes for juicy and tender meats.
No need for the Cure?
Then these wouldn't be what they are.
You must realize that there is a distinct flavor to Cured poultry just as in other meats, e.g. bacon.
And that very distinct flavor is what makes these a favorite of many.

Last edited:
They look very tasty, nice job. I haven’t done legs for a long time, think it may be time.

I always brine poultry and sometimes I’ll add cure, mainly if I am cold smoking Or want that taste. I like with and without cure.

Got the collapsible version of those leg holder at Menards. Not sure if they’d be in stock late in season. Also got one that came on a metal tray that works good for veggies cooking in the juices that drip down.

Still no comment on 2.5 t of Prague #1 to 4 cups of water?

Just curious.

John

As a newbie, I am just stringing together what I have read in the forum to try and put together an answer. It is mostly because I was reviewing this thread and saw that it was not answered, therefore anyone else may not have closure after reading this thread. If I am wrong in my logic, I am hoping that the experienced contributors see and correct things to the right answer.

I believe the original poster based his recipe on Pops brine recipe that calls for 1oz of prague #1 for 1 gallon of water. But in saying that, Pops also mentioned that the maximum safe level of prague #1 in the equilibrium brine was 3.84ozs(3.84 full tablespoons).

I think the OP of this thread has taken the max amount of (3.84 Tbls x 3 tsp per Tbls) to get 11.52 tsp prague #1 per gallon(3.78liters).

Since their brine was only 4 cups(1 litre), they could use (11.52tsp divided by 3.78) to get the ratio of 3.047 tsp to 1 liter as the maximum amount of Prague #1 they could put into 1 litre of water. In their case they are under that threshold(2.5 tsp vs 3.047tsp per litre) so that it still equals a safe equilibrium brine, but it is stronger than the often used brine provided by... https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pops6927s-wet-curing-brine.110799/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky