Dirty Rice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinjoeb

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Orange County, CA
Dirty Rice
* 3 tablespoons*vegetable*oil
* 1 pound chicken livers, chopped fine
* 1/2 pound pork*sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
* 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
* 3/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
* 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
* 2 teaspoons minced garlic
* 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (try Slap Ya Mama's!!) use this to taste you might want more than 1 tablespoon
* 1 teaspoon*salt
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2 cups chicken stock
* 2 bay leaves
* 5 cups cooked rice, chilled
* 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves

In a large, heavy saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken livers and sausage and cook, stirring, until the meat

is browned, about 6 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, the onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, Essence, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring,

for 5 minutes. Add the stock and bay leaves and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer

for 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir thoroughly. Cook until the rice is heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and remove the bay leaves.

Stir in the parsley and serve.

Oh Yeah - that is some good stuff!
My folks now do that instead of traditional stuffing at Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Gotta show the QVeiw though....
icon_cool.gif

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

i'll show some QVIEW next time i make a batch. last time i made a batch and deboned about 5 chickens and stuffed them with the dirty rice. i'm still working that freezer inventory down!!

i really like the liver, so, i tend to add more liver to my batches and more cajun seasoning. some recipes call for gizzards, but, i really don't like them that much, so, i add more sausage too.

my 9 and 6 year old love it so much they took it to school for lunch two days!
icon_smile.gif

As a cajun i'd have to say no . but as a friend i can say try the leanest ground beef
you can find.

yes, you can with more sausage or ground beef. IMHO, the livers make the dish authentic cajun style "Dirty rice" but, most dirty rice I've had eating out does not contain liver.

i look at recipes as a guide, so, feel free to adjust to your tastes!!!
icon_smile.gif

Cavey,
best to not tell her. that's what i have found with Grand Daughters lol
They will like it until you yell them what they have had....

just wondering why is the rice cooked and chilled, could you cook the rice as part of the recipe

what is pork sausage in casing - is that like jimmy dean sausage

sorry for the questions but this looks good

i think the reason you cook the rice separate is to keep it from absorbing all the liquid and getting too mushy.

i usually cook the liver and then put it in a food processor to get it cut into really small pieces.

you can use Jimmy Dean. some people might use large links, so, you would take the sausage out of the casing. Jimmy Dean is what i use!
biggrin.gif

Bob - I'm glad I'm your friend
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks Joe! I love everything in the recipe except for the "liver" part of it. Just never acquired a taste for it.

Don't tell her! If you do, she might ask if there's a substitute for the livers!
icon_cool.gif

I personally am not a big fan of eating liver by itself. I have more of a problem with the texture than the taste. BUT... in boudin and dirty rice it adds a ton of flavor and the finished product doesn't taste "livery..." at all. And chopping it fine beats the texture problem.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky