Dirty Rice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

berninga87

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
SW Wisconsin
A fried gave me his dirty rice recipe after we had it while fishing in Canada and I have to say it's become one of my all time favorites. Brown 2 pounds of sausage (your choice). Leave drippings in pan and remove sausage to drain. Recipe calls for chicken liver as well but that didn't make it in this time.
uvere4uq.jpg
Onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic sautéed in sausage drippings.
qyju3eva.jpg
Add 2 chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, browned sausage, and rice cooked with chicken stock and a small can of diced tomatoes with green chiles. Simmer one hour. Season to taste.
rehegahe.jpg
Ready to eat with sour cream, green onion and cilantro to top it off.
zary3yse.jpg
Makes for a fantastic meal and one I'm already excited to make again. Enjoy!

Last edited:
That looks like really good.....jambalaya. [emoji]128516[/emoji]Whatever the name, I think I might have to try it. Thanks for posting it!

Thanks! I agree, it's definitely closer to jambalaya, but thats the name the recipe had when given to me. Maybe Ill make some of my own tweaks and give it a name of my own. I used 1 quart chicken stock total and that cut it pretty close, I think I would use more in the future or cut the rice back a bit (dry rice qty was 2 cups). Other than that I wouldn't change anything unless I wanted to try different types of sausage or crank up the spiciness. BTW I've been using jasmine rice in place of white rice for a couple years now and would never go back. Much better all around IMHO.

Thanks! I agree, it's definitely closer to jambalaya, but thats the name the recipe had when given to me. Maybe Ill make some of my own tweaks and give it a name of my own. I used 1 quart chicken stock total and that cut it pretty close, I think I would use more in the future or cut the rice back a bit (dry rice qty was 2 cups). Other than that I wouldn't change anything unless I wanted to try different types of sausage or crank up the spiciness. BTW I've been using jasmine rice in place of white rice for a couple years now and would never go back. Much better all around IMHO.
Yeah... we switched to Jasmine rice several years back and love it. Not as starchy, but still sticks together.

You got nice color on that dish, it looks good.  
drool.gif

I have come to prefer brown rice, but I have not converted my jambalaya over to using it.  Maybe instant brown rice would be a better first step for me.  
pot.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky