Dinner tonight was chicken 1/4's (q-view)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

master_dman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Omaha, Ne
Brined them in garlic and kosher salt starting at noon.. Put them in the smoker at 2:00.. had the temps between 250-300 for 3 1/2 hours..

Turned out great. Those are some tasty birds.

Still making the stupid newbie mistakes..

Here are the q-views.
90addd3e_vbattach17902.jpg

570dd788_vbattach17900.jpg

11fe5e38_vbattach17901.jpg

Excellent chicken! Thanks for the Qview
icon_exclaim.gif

Great looking food
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Yes I did turn them once. I didn't do anything else to them tho. No mops or anything like that. The "cough syrup" was for me while I was smoking them.

Thats a very good question.. the wife LOVES the skin.. I like the rub and smoke flavor to really permeate the meat.. so I skinned about 4 of them, and those were mine.

In order for me to eat chicken skin, it has to be super crispy. Doesn't seem to matter to the wife. She likes it chewy, or crispy.. long as it's the skin.

It's pretty hard to get poultry skin to be crispy in the smoker unless you grill it over a hot flame right at the end.. I haven't done that just yet.. As I said above, the wife don't mind, so I don't do the extra step.

Hey dman... you got some good looking legs and thighs.
PDT_Armataz_01_15.gif
(Uhhh... wait... that doesn't sound right)

Hey dman, that's good looking chicken. (Yeah... that's better) I love smoked chicken!

master_dman;184301 said:
Brined them in garlic and kosher salt starting at noon.. quote]

How'd you make the brine? Just a bowl of water and how much garlic and salt? I've never done a brine but sounds like that would be a pretty good way to get some good flavor into the chicken.

I believe the common way is 1 cup salt to each gallon of water.. but I don't really like a whole lot of salt.. so I halved it.. and used a cup of the Mortons kosher to 2 gallons of water.. I had several cloves of garlic left over from something else.. so I diced them up, and let them dry.. I just put a small handfull in with the salt/water..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky