Dimmer switch?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

payson

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Columbia SC
Hello,
Pardon my ignorance but i'm curious regarding wiring a dimmer switch into a Brinkman element. One used for a light? If I'm not mistaken after market ones are available for switches that weren't originally wired this way, simply plug light into it. Even if I had to wire it in, would this be an option? I've looked at rheostat's online and don't know what would be appropriate. Basically, I need the simplest method possible! My electrical knowledge is slim to none. Does anyone on this site sell an electric temp controller? Now that I've seen jerky recipes and what not I'm obsessed with controlling it better. Gotta smoke some cheese too!
Thanks for the help!
Chris

Just remember that element is 1500 watts! However I saw one on Ebay for $25. It was in-line extension cord w/rheostat controller. You might be better off buying a $10 hotplate and switching with Brinkmann element for your low temp smokes. :roll:

Thanks for the advice! The $10.00 hotplate idea sounds like a winner. I'm guessing the whole affair can withstand temps inside the smoker? What would you consider the max withstandable temp to be? From what I've seen the hotplate, a small cord portion and the base w/ on/off switch and temp switch would all be inside the smoker. Or do you buy a hotplate, dissasemble it and re-assemble to suit your needs?

Jeff,if a person wanted to build their own electric smoker any recomendation for elements or controls?I have access to McMaster Carr and other simular outfits.Thanks

Being an electrician, I totally agree with So FlaQuer. That dimmer is not adaquate for your smoker.

Thanks all! Just so happens I acquired a massive rheostat from a friend! It must weigh 20#'s. Industrial if ever there was! He assured me it could handle 1500 watts. In fact, he said he tested it under load! Whatluck!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky